African American foodways : explorations of history and culture / edited by Anne L. Bower.
- Urbana : University of Illinois Press, [c2007].
- Food series
The food series
, 183,  pages : illustrations ; 24 cm`
- African American cooking.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Illinois Urbana.
- Introduction: Watching Soul Food / Anne L. Bower
Part One: The History of African American Food. Food crops, medicinal plants, and the Atlantic slave trade / Robert L. Hall; Soul food as cultural creation / William C. Whit; Excavating the South's African American food history / Anne Yentsch
Part Two: Representations of African American Food. From fiction to foodways: working at the intersections of African American literary and culinary studies / Doris Witt; Chickens and chains: using African American foodways to understand Black identities / Psyche Williams-Forson; Recipes for respect: Black hospitality entrepreneurs before World War I / Rafia Zafar; Recipes for history: the National Council of Negro Women's five historical cookbooks / Anne L. Bower.
- "Composed in 10/13.5 Electra with Type Embellishments display by Type One, LLC."
"Designed by Paula Newcomb."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Elizabeth Bowers Peck, 1929 Endowment Book Fund.
Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
Banks Collection copy has embossed stamp "JB Library of Joanna Banks" on half title page.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (stamp) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Bower, Anne, editor.
Elizabeth Bowers Peck, 1929 Endowment Book Fund.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Cookbooks (University of Pennsylvania)
- 9780252031854 (cloth : alk. paper)
0252031857 (cloth : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|