Archeology [videorecording] : evidence of the past / a Lucerne Media presentation ; Audio Video, Inc. presents.
- Other Title:
- Title on container: Archaeology : evidence of the past [videorecording]
- Morris Plains, N.J. : Distributed by Lucerne Media, 2006, c1994.
- Science and technology today and tomorrow series
1 videodisc (25 min.) : sd., col. with b&white footage ; 4 3/4 in. + teacher guide (1 folded leaf).
- Archaeology -- Methodology.
Archaeology -- Field work.
Archaeology -- Southwest, New.
Pueblo Indians -- Antiquities.
- Educational films.
- System Details:
- This program examines the work of archaeologists at Mesa Verde, Colorado, as an example of how past civilizations can be reconstructed from their findings. It explains site reconnaissance, excavation, classification, dating, soil testing, and interpretation of materials unearthed. It explores techniques of archaeological reconnaissance, including personal observation, aerial photography, ground probes, and electromagnetic detection. The three principle things archaeologists look for are artifacts, features (items too large to be removed from the site: architectural structures, such as the cliff-houses at Mesa Verde or the tower at Hovenweep National Monument), and ecofacts (items and clues such as fossilized corn-cobs, created by nature rather than by people). Two different methods are used to classify artifacts and features: typology (how things look, how they were made, and how they were used) and seriation (a dating method based on geography and chronology, such as the difference in styles of the buildings of Chaco Canyon based on distances between them). Other concepts discussed include stratification, Carbon 14 and Potassium-Argon dating, dendrochronology, pit-houses, kivas, and the Anasazi.
- Narration by Dan Smith.
- Written and edited by Jeff Hildebrandt ; videography by Jeff Hildebrandt.
- Title from title screen.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Hildebrandt, Jeff. , Author, Producer, Photographer
Smith, Dan. , Narrator
Audio Video Inc. , Producer
Lucerne Media. , Distributor
George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|