Power of art [videorecording] / a BBC/Thirteen WNET New York co-production ; directors, Clare Beavan ... [et al.] ; written and presented by Simon Schama ; series producer, Clare Beavan.
- [S.l.] : BBC Video : 2 Entertain : Distributed by BBC Worldwide Americas ; Burbank, CA : Distributed by Warner Home Video, 
3 videodiscs (ca. 400 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Art -- History.
Artists -- Biography.
Painting -- History.
Painters -- Biography.
Sculpture -- History.
Sculptors -- Biography.
- Arts television programs.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
Cultural television programs.
Documentary television programs.
- English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired.
- System Details:
- DVD, region 1, widescreen (16:9, enhanced) presentation; Dolby Digital stereo., DVD9, NTSC.
- Focusing on eight iconic works of art, this series reveals the history of visual imagination through the ages. A combination of reconstruction, photography and storytelling transport the viewer back to the intense moments when great works were conceived and born: the murderous, messianic world of Baroque Rome; opulent, parvenu Amsterdam; paranoid, revolutionary Paris; Victorian England suffocating beneath riches and righteousness; the madhouses and brothels of Provence; the carnage of civil war Spain; 1950s New York, caught between Cold War jitters and Manhattan glitter. In each place, a great artist is backed into a corner, facing a crisis, given a chance to confound his rivals, enemies and critics one more time.
- Disc 1: Caravaggio ; Bernini ; Rembrandt
Disc 2: David ; Turner ; Van Gogh
Disc 3: Picasso ; Rothko.
- Featuring Andy Serkis as Van Gogh; Paul Popplewell as Caravaggio; Alan Corduner as Rothko.
- Title from container.
Originally broadcast on television in 2006.
Contains 8 episodes from the television series.
Companion book of the same title published.
"Due to contractual restrictions, certain edits have been made to the originally transmitted programs."
Special features: Audio commentaries with Simon Schama, Clare Beavan, David Belton & Andy Serkis; interview with Simon Schama.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund.
- Schama, Simon. , Author, Commentator, Host, Interviewee
Beavan, Clare. , Director, Producer, Commentator
Serkis, Andy. , Commentator, Actor
Belton, David. , Commentator
Popplewell, Paul. , Commentator, Actor
Corduner, Allan. , Commentator, Actor
British Broadcasting Corporation. , Producer
WNET (Television station : New York, N.Y.) , Producer
2 Entertain (Firm) , Producer
BBC Video (Firm) , Distributor
BBC Worldwide Americas, Inc.. , Distributor
Warner Home Video (Firm). , Distributor
John G. Hartman Memorial Library Fund.
- Publisher Number:
E2996 BBC Video
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|