The woorkes of Geffrey Chaucer : newly printed, with diuers addicions whiche were neuer in printe before : with the siege and destruccion of the worthy citee of Thebes, compiled by Ihon Lidgate, monke of Berie, as in the table more plainly dooeth appere.
- Standardized Title:
- Works. 1561
- Imprinted at London : By Ihon Kyngston for Ihon Wight ..., Anno 1561.
, ccclxxviij leaves : ill. ; 34 cm. (fol.)
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Edited by William Thynne, who is named on [fleuron]2r; with additions by John Stow. Cf. ESTC.
Imprint from colophon.
Signatures: [fleuron]⁴ A-V⁶ 2A-2P⁶, ²Q-T⁶ V-X⁸ Y-Z⁶ 3A-3T⁶ 3V⁸.
"The romaunt of the rose" and "The Caunterburie tales" each has divisional t.p.; foliation and signatures are continuous.
Divisional titles within woodcut borders; woodcut title vignette (Chaucer's arms with "1560" at the top of the shield), initials and illustration.
Text in double columns.
"Another state of the edition with title page reading 'The workes ... 1561'. The title page and prologue to the Canterbury Tales in this state are printed on A⁶ with no illustrations. Variant: Canterbury Tales title page and prologue as in STC 5075 ([cross]⁶ A⁴ with illustrations)."--ESTC.
Identified as STC 5075 on UMI microfilm.
Contains a number of non-Chaucerian works, including The testament of Creseide by Robert Henryson and The siege of Thebes by John Lydgate.
- Local notes:
- Penn Libraries copy has ms. biographical note about Chaucer in ink on back free endpaper; 1 leaf with a few ms. notes in ink laid in; a few ms. notes in ink on recto and verso of title leaf and in margins of text; front cover detached; leaves 3D2 and 3D3 torn off at bottom outer corner with damage to catchwords; leaf 3P5 torn off at bottom margin without damage to text; leaf 3UV repaired at bottom margin.
- Penn Provenance:
- Stubbes, W. (autograph)
Colton, Sabin W., Jr. (honoree)
Sidney, Henry, Sir, 1529-1586 (autograph)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- STC (2nd ed.) 5076
- Thynne, William, d. 1546, ed.
Stow, John, 1525?-1605, ed.
Kingston, John, fl. 1553-ca. 1584, printer.
Wight, John, d. 1589, bookseller.
STC Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
- Lydgate, John, 1370?-1451? Siege of Thebes.
Henryson, Robert, 1430?-1506? Testament of Cresseid.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|