History of the art of antiquity / Johann Joachim Winckelmann ; introduction by Alex Potts ; translation by Harry Francis Mallgrave.
- Standardized Title:
- Geschichte der Kunst des Altertums. English
- Los Angeles, Calif. : Getty Research Institute, 2006.
- Texts & documents
xiv, 431 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Art, Ancient -- History.
- Translated from the German.
- "Translation of a foundational text for the disciplines of art history and archaeology. Offers a systematic history of art in ancient Egypt, Persia, Etruria, Rome, and, above all, Greece that synthesizes the visual and written evidence then available"--Provided by publisher.
- History of the art of antiquity
Legends for the engravings
I: Investigation of art with regard to its essence
1. Origin of art and reasons for its diversity among peoples
2. Art of the Egyptians, Phoenicians, and Persians
3. Art of the Etruscans and their neighbors
4. Art of the Greeks
5. Art of the Romans
II: History of the art of antiquity with regard to the external circumstances of the time among the Greeks.
- Original text published: Dresden : in der Waltherischen Hof-Buchhandlung, 1764.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
- Potts, Alex.
Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
- 0892366680 (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|