Paul Philippe Cret clippings collection, 1910-1969.
- Other Title:
- Cret Clippings collection.
21 cu. ft.
- Cret, Paul Philippe, 1876-1945.
Architects -- Archives.
Architectural design -- History -- 20th century -- Sources.
- Paul Cret was born in Lyon, France and studied at the Ecole nationale des Beaux-Arts de Lyon and at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris. In 1903, the School of Fine Arts of the University of Pennsylvania offered him the position of Professor of Design. He was the dominant force in architectural education there until is retirement in 1937, and he had a profound impact on an entire generation of American architects. He employed many of his students in his own firm, and four of his students (John F. Harbeson, William J. H. Hough, William Henry Livingston, Sr., and Roy Frank Larson) became full partners. They continued the firm on Cret's death as Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson, later known as H2L2.
This collection comprises a reference file on topics related to architectural design and construction, maintained by the office of Paul Philippe Cret and continued by his successor firm Harbeson Hough Livingston and Larson (later H2L2). That firm donated the file to the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1969. The collection was transfered to the Architectural Archives of the University of Pennsylvania in 2005.
- This collection is primarily an image file (plate file) comprising clippings from published material. Also found are entire articles from publications as well as some photographs, drawings and manuscript material. The file remains as organized by the firm with its own numbered classification scheme. A small group of materials was separated from the main file: photographs and oversized published materials, together with drawings and manuscript materials closely connected with Paul Cret, materials directly related to Cret projects and materials directly related to the Philadephia region. These may be found interfiled according to the Cret classification numbers at the end of the collection.
- Finding Aid/Index:
- Printed finding aid available at the Architectural Archives. Electronic finding aid available in PDF (Acrobat Reader required).
- Cited as:
- Cret Clippings Collection, The Architectural Archives, University of Pennsylvania
- Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson.
- Access Restriction:
- Collection available for research by appointment only.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|