New England fiddles [videorecording] : playing down the devil ; New England dances / produced and directed by John M. Bishop ; associate producer, Nick Hawes.
- Other Title:
- Playing down the devil [videorecording]
- [United States] : Media Generation, c2004.
1 videodisc (106 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
Fiddle tunes -- New England.
Folk dance music -- New England.
Folk music -- New England.
Fiddlers -- New England -- Interviews.
Square dancing -- New England.
Quadrille (Dance) -- New England.
Step dancing -- New England.
Dancers -- New England -- Interviews.
- System Details:
- New England fiddles: Features seven New England traditional fiddlers as they play in their homes and at dances and contests, passing on their styles to younger fiddlers, and commenting on their music. At the end of the main film, there is 20 minutes appendix of 11 additional fiddle tunes. Bonus: Simon St. Pierre performs during a visit to Washington, D.C. to accept a National Heritage Award. New England dances: Documentary on the revival of traditional music and dance in the New England states of Maine and Massachusetts, told in the words of local callers, musicians, and dancers. The focus is on recreational rather than theatrical dancing, although a sequence filmed at the 49th National Folk Festival in Lowell, Mass., depicts performances by Irish step dancers Dierdre Goulding and Liam Harney, and Harvey Beaton, a Cape Breton step dancer. The interviewees discuss calling, music, and the various types of dances (including square dancing, step dancing, and quadrilles), as well as local traditions, participants, and their observations of dance and music in their communities.
- New England fiddles: Main program: Joe Cormier, Paddy Cronin, Ben Guilemette, Wilfred Guillette, Harold Luce, Jerry Robichaud, and Ron West. Appendix: Joe Cormier, Paddy Cronin, Harold Luce, Jerry Robichaud, and Ron West. New England dances: Phil Johnson, Arcade Richard, Victor Albert, Norman MacEachern, John Campbell, William Chaisson, Joe Cormier, Charlie Mitchell, Elman Mitchell, Don Spear, and others, interviewees ; Arcade Richards, Dierdre Goulding, Liam Harney, Harvey Beaton, and local community members, dancers ; Marcel Robidas, John Saucier, Victor Albert, John Campbell, Joe Cormier, Elman Mitchell, Don Spear, and others, musicians.
- New England fiddles: Folklorist, Nicholas Hawes ; editor, John M. Bishop ; music editing, Naomi H. Bishop ; sound, Robbie Leppzer, Lynn Cadwallader. New England dances: Associate producer, Sue Marshall Cabezas (Documentary Educational Resources) ; consulting folklorist , Nick Hawes ; photographed by John Bishop ; sound recording, John Terry ; edited by John Bishop, John Terry.
- Special features: An interview with John Bishop; a transcript of New England fiddles annotated by Nicholas Hawes accessible on a computer.
- Hawes, Nicholas.
Cormier, Joe. , Performer
Cronin, Paddy. , Performer
Guilemette, Ben. , Performer
Guillette, Wilfred. , Performer
Luce, Harold. , Performer
Robichaud, Gerry. , Performer
West, Ron, 1925- , Performer
Bishop, John Melville. , Director
Media Generation (Firm)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|