Lettere havute da Mon[signor] Zuccati [manuscript].
- [Italy], 1589-1594.
56 leaves : paper ; 280-320 x 210 mm. bound to 330 x 225 mm.
- Eder, Georg, 1524-1587.
Kirchmair, Georg, 1481-1554.
Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Wrocław (Poland)
Jesuits -- History -- 16th century.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 16th century.
- Latin, with some Italian (f. 5r-7v, 13r-15v, 46r-51v) and Spanish (f. 9r-11v).
- Auditor nuntii to the Holy Roman Emperor, based in Prague. Later served as Bishop of Nusco, 1607-1614.
- A collection of 25 letters, with seals. The letters predominantly deal with various church issues, and are mostly from church and papal officials either in Rome, Poland, or Prague. Some of the letters refer to heresy, others mention Jesuits, one mentions the election of Pope Gregory XIV (f. 43r), and one mentions flooding of the Tiber and Arno rivers in Rome in 1589 (f. 25r). Another letter speaks of the Viennese anti-Lutheran Georg Eder (f. 1r-2v), while a later one refers to the abbey official Georg Kirchmair (f. 37r-38v) of Brixen. Some of the frequent recipients include the viscount of Milan and apostolic nuncio Alphonsus (or Alfonso), Giovanni Battista Zuccati, Gerardus Vossius, Paolo Beni, and the patriarch of Alexandria and apostolic nuncio Camillo Gaetano. Some of the senders include Sebastianus Batensis, Alessandro Centurione of Genoa, and bishop Andreas Jerin of Wrocław. The letters are numbered 1-25 in pencil, upper right recto. Each letter contains a wax seal, and some have notarial signets.
- Ms. codex.
Title from spine.
Foliation: Paper, 56 + i (contemporary paper); [1-56]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Front endleaf is lacking; back endleaf is stuck to lower cover.
Script: Written in various cursive hands.
Binding: Bound in contemporary vellum (Zacour-Hirsch), with remnants of cloth ties on outer edges of covers.
Origin: Written in various Italian cities, 1589-1594.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Giovanni Battista Zuccati (Zacour-Hirsch).
Sold by Renzo Rizzi (Milan), 1967.
- Cited in:
- Described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800: Supplement A (2), Library Catalogue 36, (1970), no. 1, p. 27-28 (Ms. Lea 439).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 1252
- Vossius, Gerardus, ca. 1540-1609.
Beni, Paolo, 1552 or 3-1625.
- Jerin, Andreas, Bishop of Wrocław.
Gaetano, Camillo recipient.
Centurione, Alessandro, Archbishop of Genoa.
Batensis, Sebastianus Friar.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|