Hog & hominy : soul food from Africa to America / Frederick Douglass Opie.
- Other Title:
- Hog and hominy
- New York : Columbia University Press, [c2008].
- Arts and traditions of the table
Arts & traditions of the table
xv, , 238 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm
- African American cooking -- History.
African Americans -- Food -- History.
African Americans -- Social life and customs.
Cooking, American -- Southern style -- History.
Cooking -- America -- History.
Food habits -- America -- History.
Blacks -- Food -- America -- History.
Blacks -- America -- Social life and customs.
Cooking, African -- History.
Food habits -- Africa -- History.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- The Atlantic slave trade and the Columbian exchange
Adding to my bread and greens: enslaved cookery in British colonial America
Hog and Hominy: Southern foodways in the nineteenth century
The Great Migration: from the Black Belt to the Freedom Belt
The Beans and Greens of Necessity: African Americans and the Great Depression
Eating Jim Crow: restaurants, barbecue stands, and bar and grills during segregation
The Chitlin Circuit: the origins and meanings of soul and soul food
The Declining Influence of Soul Food: the growth of Caribbean cuisine in urban areas
Food Rebels: African American critics and opponents of soul food
- "A Caravan Book"
Includes bibliographical references (pages -226) and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
Banks Collection copy has embossed stamp "JB Library of Joanna Banks" on half title page.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (stamp) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Cookbooks (University of Pennsylvania)
- 9780231146388 (cloth : alk. paper)
0231146388 (cloth : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|