Poetry in the Song of songs : a literary analysis / Patrick Hunt.
- New York : Peter Lang, c2008.
- Studies in biblical literature
xi, 368 p. ; 24 cm.
- Bible. O.T. Song of Solomon -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
Hebrew poetry, Biblical -- History and criticism.
Bible as literature.
- Focus, history of Song of Songs, hermeneutics and its lasting influence
The figurative language of desire: "your lovemaking is better than wine"
Subtle wordplay: concealed paronomasia and secrets
Sensory imagery: "he shall lie between my breasts"
The lovers' garden: fertility imagery in flowers, fruits and spices as eroticism
Animal imagery: stags, gazelles and flocks as virility and wealth
The lovers' banquet: "feed me with sweet cakes ... your loving is better than wine"
The lovers' dualisms: binary language in poetic parallelisms
Protection, power and priceless worth: love's displays of wealth, authority and security
The lovers' transformations: similes
The lovers' synthesis: metaphors.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -360) and index.
- 9781433104657 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1433104652 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0820481920 (hbk. : alk. paper)
9780820481920 (hbk. : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|