A son of Africa [videorecording] : the slave narrative of Olaudah Equiano / Aimimage Productions for the BBC ; producer, Hugh Williams ; director, Alrick Riley ; writer, Danny Padmore.
- Other Title:
- Slave narrative of Olaudah Equiano
- San Francisco, CA : California Newsreel, 
1 videodisc (28 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
- Equiano, Olaudah, 1745-1797 -- Film adaptations.
Slaves -- United States -- Biography.
Slaves -- Great Britain -- Biography.
Blacks -- Great Britain -- Biography.
African Americans -- Biography.
Freedmen -- Great Britain -- Biography.
Abolitionists -- Great Britain -- Biography.
United States -- Race relations -- History -- 18th century.
Great Britain -- Race relations -- History -- 18th century.
Slavery -- United States -- History -- 18th century.
Slavery -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
Slave trade -- Africa -- History -- 18th century.
Antislavery movements -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
Antislavery movements -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Slaves' writings, English -- History and criticism.
- Film adaptations.
- System Details:
- A docudrama based on the book, The interesting narrative of the life of Oloudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vaasa the African, which was the first influential slave autobiography. When it was published in 1789, it fueled a growing anti-slavery movement in the U.S. and England. This production employs dramatic reconstruction, archival material and interviews with scholars. Equiano's narrative begins in the West African village where he was kidnapped into slavery in 1756. He was shipped to a Virginia plantation and then later sold again to a British naval officer. Here he learned to read and write, became a skilled trader, eventually bought his freedom and married into English society where he became a leading abolitionist.
- Cathy Tyson, Hakeem Kae-Kazim, Frederick Annan.
Commentary, Hakim Adi, Stuart Hall, Ian Duffield.
- Photography, James Aspinall ; editor, Greg Harris.
- Originally produced for television in 1996.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Hazel M. Hussong Fund.
- Riley, Alrick. , Director
Williams, Hugh. , Producer
Padmore, Danny. , Screenwriter
Kae-Kazim, Hakeem. , Actor
Annan, Frederick. , Actor
Tyson, Cathy. , Narrator
Adi, Hakim. , Associated name
Hall, Stuart, 1932- , Associated name
Duffield, Ian. , Associated name
Aspinall, James. , Cinematographer
Harris, Greg. , Editor
Equiano, Olaudah, b. 1745. , Author
Aimimage Productions. , Producer
British Broadcasting Corporation. , Producer
California Newsreel (Firm) , Distributor
Hazel M. Hussong Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|