Now the drum of war : Walt Whitman and his brothers in the Civil War / Robert Roper.
- 1st U.S. ed.
- New York : Walker & Co., 2008.
viii, 421 p. : ill., ports., facsims. ; 24 cm.
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892.
Whitman, George W., 1839-1919.
Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892 -- Family.
United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives.
United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- War work.
Poets, American -- 19th century -- Biography.
- Drawing on the searing letters that Walt, George, their mother Louisa, and their other brothers, wrote to each other during the Civil War, and on new evidence and new readings of the great poet, Now the Drum of War chronicles the experience of the Whitman family--from rural Long Island to working-class Brooklyn--enduring its own long crisis alongside the anguish of the nation.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -409) and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Gift of the Library of the American Philosophical Society.
- 9780802715531 (hardcover) :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|