Cellular pathology : as based upon physiological and pathological histology / by Rudolf Virchow ; Translated from the second German edition by Frank Chance ; with a new introductory essay by L. J. Rather.
- Standardized Title:
- Cellularpathologie in ihrer Begründung auf physiologische und pathologische Gewebelehre. English
- New York : Dover Publications, Inc., 1971. , ©1971
xxvii, 554 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Pathology, Cellular.
Pathology, Cellular -- History.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
- This book is one of the towering classics in the history of the development of modern medicine. In a day when organic cells were believed to be formed chemically from 'blastemas, ' Rudolf Virchow lectured his colleagues at the Institute of Pathology in Berlin on his work proving that new cells were formed mainly by division of the old. His twenty lectures, published in this volume, trace how Virchow developed the importance of the cellular theory in pathology, exposed the falsity of previous theories of tissue component generation, and presented a new understanding of physiological and pathological tissues. His discussions turned the study of histopathology toward new horizons. -- from Back Cover.
- Cells and cellular theory
Physiological and pathological tissues
Nutrition and its channels
Nutrition, and conveyance of the nutritive juices
Nutrition and circulation
Blood and lymph
Pyaemia and leucocytosis
Pigmentary elements in the blood, nerves
The nervous system
Spinal cord and brain
Activity and irritability of cellular elements; Different forms of irritation
Passive processes; Fatty degeneration
A more precise account of fatty metamorphosis
Amyloid degeneration; Inflammation
Normal and pathological new formation
Pathological, and especially heterologous, new formation
Form and nature of pathological new-formations.
- Translation of Die Cellularpathologie in ihrer Begründung auf physiologische und pathologische Gewebelehre.
Reprint of the 1863 edition.
"Copyright ©1971 by Dover Publications, Inc."--verso of title page.
Advertisements:  pages at end.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Copy gifted by Dr. Mark B. Adams in 2018.
- Penn Provenance:
- Adams, Mark B. (former owner) (Adams copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Rather, L. J., author of introduction.
Dover Publications, Inc., publisher.
Mark B. Adams Emergence of Modern Science Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|