Causa del m[aest]ro fr[ay] Froilan Diaz confesor de Carlos Segundo, año de 1695 [1698?], y causa del yll[ustrissi]mo s[eñor] d[on] Bart[olo]me Carranza arz[obis]po de Toledo, año de 1558, ambos del or[de]n de predicad[ore]s [manuscript].
- Madrid, [17--]
191 leaves : paper ; 199 x 143 mm. bound to 203 x 155 mm.
- Carranza, Bartolomé, 1503-1576.
Díaz de los Llanos, Froilán, d. 1709.
Charles II, King of Spain, 1661-1700.
Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Toledo (Spain) -- History.
Catholic Church -- Spain -- History -- 16th century.
Bishops -- Spain -- Toledo.
Inquisition -- Spain -- Early works to 1800.
Inquisition -- Spain -- Toledo.
Demonology -- Spain.
Toledo (Spain) -- Church history.
Spain -- History -- Philip II, 1556-1598.
Spain -- History -- Charles II, 1665-1700.
Manuscripts, Spanish -- 18th century.
- Manuscript containing two separate works: The biography of Bartolomé Carranza, Archbishop of Toledo; and an account of the case of Froilán Díaz, Dominican friar and royal confessor. The majority of the Carranza text (f. 3r-68v) is dedicated to the bishop's life from the time he was first arrested on suspicion of heresy by the Spanish Inquisition in 1559 to his death in Rome in 1576. The Díaz text outlines how he took over from Pedro Matilla, the previous royal confessor, in 1698, the ensuing intrigues against him and plots to overthrown him, and his lengthy and secret imprisonment by the Inquisition while his trial bogged down in a battle over jurisdiction between the Spanish crown and the Vatican. The case ends with his eventual acquittal, restitution to his former position, and the reparation of his lost salary. Of particular interest are the details of Díaz's involvement in efforts to glean insight into the seemingly "bewitched' nature of the physically and mentally impaired king, Charles II, by conducting clairvoyance rituals with individuals supposedly possessed by demons.
- 1. f.3r-68v: Causa del yll[ustrissi]mo s[eñor] d[on] Bart[olo]me Carranza arz[obis]po de Toledo, año de 1558 / Pedro Salazar de Mendoza.
2. f.69r-186v: Historia del r[everendissi]mo e yll[ustrissi]mo p[adre] f[ray] Froilan Diaz del orden de Predicadores.
- Ms. codex.
Title from title page (f. 1r).
For other manuscripts of the biography of Bartolomé Carranza, see Ms. Codex 1338 and Ms. Codex 1345 (f.1r-120r), Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania; for other manuscripts of the case of Froilán Díaz, see Ms. Codex 1362, Ms. Codex 1363, and Ms. Codex 1452 (f.174r-235r), Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania.
Foliation: Paper, i + 191 + i leaves; [i, 1-187, iii]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
Layout: Written in 19-23 long lines in a text block of 175 x 100 mm. (f. 3r-68v); 22-25 long lines (f. 69r-186v).
Script: Written in a cursive script, possibly by multiple hands.
Decoration: Some ornamentation in ink at the beginning of chapters; title with decorative letters and borders in ink (f.68v).
Watermark: Similar to Valls i Subirá, Españolas, 1885, but much more elaborate and with cross issuing from top of crown; watermark similar to Valls i Subirá, Farreras, 338, but with much larger circles and no initials.
Binding: Contemporary calf (Zacour-Hirsch).
Origin: Written in Madrid, probably in the 18th century.
- Cited in:
- Described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1965), p. 222 (Ms. Lea 382).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Ms. Codex 1367
- Salazar de Mendoza, Pedro, d. 1629.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|