Hobson's choice [videorecording] / Janus Films ; London Films ; David Lean's production ; screenplay by David Lean, Norman Spencer and Wynyard Browne ; produced in association with and distributed by British Lion Film Corporation Ltd. ; produced and directed by David Lean.
- Special ed.
- [United States] : The Criterion Collection, c2008.
- Criterion collection; 461.
Criterion collection ; 461
1 videodisc (108 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet ( p. : ill. ; 18 cm.)
- Brighouse, Harold, b. 1882 -- Film and video adaptaions.
Businessmen -- England -- Salford -- 19th century -- Drama.
Fathers and daughters -- Drama.
Sisters -- Drama.
Courtship -- England -- Salford -- 19th century -- Drama.
- Local subjects:
- Businessmen -- England -- Drama.
Father-daughter relationship -- Drama.
- Film adaptations.
Motion pictures, British.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- System Details:
- DVD; region 1, NTSC; Dolby digital mono.
- An owner of a Victorian-era boot shop finds himself in a battle of wills with his headstrong eldest daughter, who wants to make her own professional and personal decisions in her life.
- Charles Laughton, John Mills, Brenda de Banzie, Daphne Anderson, Joseph Tomelty, Richard Wattis, Prunella Scales, Derek Blomfield, Helen Haye.
- Music composed by Malcolm Arnold ; played by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra ; editor, Peter Taylor ; photographed by Jack Hildyard.
- Based on the play by Harold Brighouse.
Aspect ratio 1.33:1.
Originally released as a motion picture in 1954.
"Restoration by the BFI National Archive in association with Studio Canal and Optimum Releasing."
Accompanying booklet has a new essay by film critic Armond White and information about the new remastered transfer from a 1953 combined fine-grain master positive.
Special features: Commentary featuring film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini; Theatrical trailer; Episode of The Hollywood greats: Charles Laughton / written and presented by Barry Norman; producer, Barry Brown; director, Margaret Sharp ; BBC (ca. 44 min. ; 1978).
- Lean, David, 1908-1991. , Producer, Director, Screenwriter
Spencer, Norman, 1914- , Screenwriter
Browne, Wynyard, 1911-1964. , Screenwriter
Laughton, Charles, 1899-1962. , Actor
Mills, John, 1908-2005. , Actor
De Banzie, Brenda, 1915-1981. , Actor
Anderson, Daphne, 1922- , Actor
Tomelty, Joseph, 1911- , Actor
Wattis, Richard. , Actor
Scales, Prunella. , Actor
Blomfield, Derek, 1920-1964. , Actor
Haye, Helen, 1874-1957. , Actor
Arnold, Malcolm. , Composer
Brighouse, Harold, b. 1882. , Author
Taylor, Peter. , Editor
Hildyard, Jack. , Cinematographer
Janus Films. , Producer
London Films. , Producer
British Lion Films. , Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm) , Distributor
- Publisher Number:
CC1792D Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|