[Ledger of Medici accounts] [manuscript].
- [Italy], 1583-1584.
67 leaves : paper ; 285 x 216 mm. bound to 287 x 224 mm + 4 notes.
- Medici, House of -- Archives.
Medici, Vincenzo de'.
Accounting -- Italy -- 16th century.
Farm life -- Italy -- History.
Farm management -- Italy.
Italy -- Rural conditions.
Ledgers (account books).
Manuscripts, Italian -- 16th century.
- Ledger of accounts for the Valdinievole farm, property of Vincenzo de' Medici for the years 1583-1584, probably written by Nicolo Galiotti. It includes accounts of the everyday transactions that result from the management of the farm: including the purchase of feed for the animals; revenues derived from harvests (wheat, Lupini beans and linseeds); and expenses related to the payment of the wages of the employees of the farm (often paid both in kind and in cash). In certain cases, for accounts related to a sale, the names of the employee who made the sale and that of the customer are present.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Foliation: Paper, 67; 1-67; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
Layout: Written in 2 columns with vertical bounding lines in lead; the large central column with the a brief description of the transaction, including the name of the counterparts involved in the transaction, and the smaller one on the right with the amount received or disbursed. Sometimes 3 columns or long lines are also used.
Script: Written in a cursive script, by multiple hands, including that of Nicolo Galiotti.
Watermark: Similar to Briquet, Tete humaine 15614 (Lucca, 1445), but with curlier hair and a pointier nose.
Binding: Contemporary vellum, no. 97 on spine.
Origin: Written in Italy between 1583 (f. 1v) and 1584 (f. 47v).
Forms part of: Gondi-Medici Business Records.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold by Bernard M. Rosenthal, 1961.
- Cited in:
- Described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1965), p. 214 (Ms. Lea 352).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Oversize Ms. Codex 1433
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|