Carretto family papers, ca. 1500-1648.
- ca. 1500-1648.
9 items (67 leaves)
- Costapellegrina, Giovan Andrea.
Maritime law -- Italy.
Real property -- Italy.
Finale Ligure (Italy) -- History.
Castelfranco di Sotto (Italy).
Genoa (Italy) -- Politics and government.
Mediterranean Sea -- Navigation.
- Manuscripts, Latin -- 15th century.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 16th century.
Manuscripts, Italian -- 16th century.
- In Latin, with some documents in Italian.
- A collection of documents in Latin and Italian, with one in Spanish, both from and pertaining to the del Carretto family and the marquisate of Finale Ligure, Italy, a port city about fifty miles west of Genoa. The majority of the documents are 16th-century copies of 14th-16th century documents, with some 17th-century documents. Individual documents contain discussions between rulers of Finale and other locations, such as Genoa, primarily regarding investitures, trade and sea navigation rights. Much of the trade arguments concern food and salt, as well as naval rights. Examples of the documents include: investitures from Genoa to the marquis Galeotto del Carretto, also known as Johannes, for a third part of land in Finale Ligure, as well as in Castelfranco; and the history of Finale and the jurisdiction of the del Carretto family, Genoa, and the Duke of Milan, Francesco Sforza. A letter written in 1580 by Antonio Boccanegra to Scipione del Carretto, promising his help, as well as the support of Giovan Andrea Costapellegrina, podestà of Alassio, against the wrongdoings of the podestà of Albenga, is also present. Includes a hierarchical list of rulers on the final page. Many of the documents were copied by Nicolaus de Credentia and Thomas de Credentia. Filed with a brief 17th-century Italian description of some of the documents.
- For related documents, see Documents concerning Genoa and Finale Ligure, Ms. Coll. 733, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, University of Pennsylvania.
- Cited in:
- Described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1965), Supplement A (2), The Library Chronicle, vol. 36, no. 1 (1970), p. 19-20 (Ms. Lea 412).
Letter to Scipione del Carretto described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1965), p. 219 (Ms. Lea 370).
- Campofregoso, Petrus de, Duke of Genoa.
Carretto, Antonio del, Marquis.
Carretto, Galeotto del, Marquis.
Carretto, Scipione del.
Credentia, Jacobus de.
Credentia, Nicolaus de.
Credentia, Thomas de, Chancellor.
Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan, 1401-1466.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|