Die Ehe der Maria Braun [videorecording] = The Marriage of Maria Braun / Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation presents ; Rainer Werner Fassbinder film ; [written by Peter Märthesheimer, Pea Fröhlich ... et al. ; directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder].
- Other Title:
- Marriage of Maria Braun [videorecording]
- [U.K.] : Arrow Films c2006.
1 videodisc (115 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet ( p. : ill. ; 17 cm.).
- Germany -- History -- 1945-1990 -- Drama.
Women -- Germany -- Drama.
Businesswomen -- Germany -- Drama.
- Historical films.
Motion pictures, German.
- In German; optional English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD, PAL, Region 2; Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo.
- The first of a trilogy about women in post-World War II Germany, The marriage of Maria Braun, turns the melodramatic story of the titular heroine's climb up the economic ladder into a historical allegory about both the post-war German "economic miracle" and 1970s West Germany. During the allied siege of Germany in the last year of the war, Maria's new husband is shipped off to the Russian front before the marriage is consummated. As she struggles to survive wartime deprivations, Maria haunts the local train station, seeking out information concerning her husband. When it appears that she's a widow, Maria takes a job as a barmaid and befriends a black soldier from the occupying allied troops, who sees to it that Maria's family receives vital food and supplies. The opportunistic Maria eventually takes a job with a wealthy importer, building herself up to a position of power and indispensability.
- Hanna Schygulla, Klaus Löwitsch, Ivan Desny, Gisela Uhlen.
- Director of photography, Michael Ballhaus; editor, Franz Walsch [i.e. Fassbinder]; music, Peer Raben.
- Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1979.
"Arrow Films world."--Container.
Special features: Fassbinder Frauen - the women of Rainer Werner Fassbinder; Fassbinder Familia; Florian Hopf on R.W. Fassbinder (30 min. documentary); The little chaos (short film); original theatrical trailer.
Aspect ratio 16:9 full height anamorphic.
- Fassbinder, Rainer Werner, 1945-1982. , Screenwriter, Director, Editor
Märthesheimer, Peter, 1938- , Screenwriter
Fröhlich, Pea, 1943- , Screenwriter
Schygulla, Hanna, 1943- , Actor
Löwitsch, Klaus, 1936-2002. , Actor
Desny, Ivan. ,
Uhlen, Gisela, 1919-2007. , Actor
Raben, Peer. , Composer
Rainer Werner Fassbinder Foundation. , Producer
Arrow Films (Firm) , Distributor
- Publisher Number:
FCD269 Arrow Films
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|