Sotigui Kouyaté [videorecording] : un Griot moderne / Les productions de la lanterne et Canal Cholet présentent ; un film de Mahamat Saleh Haroun ; réalisation, Mahamat Saleh Haroun ; production, Claude Gilaizeau, Sylvie Maigne.
- Other Title:
- English title from container: Sotigui Kouyaté, a modern Griot
A modern Griot
- Standard format.
- [New York, N.Y.] : ArtMattan Productions, c.
1 videodisc (59 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Kouyaté, Sotigui.
Actors -- Mali -- Bamako -- Biography.
Actors -- Burkina Faso -- Biography.
Actors -- Africa, West -- Biography.
Griots -- Biography.
- Documentary films.
- In French with English subtitles.
- System Details:
- Griot is a West African term that refers to a poet, praise singer, or wandering musician who acts as a repository of oral tradition, preserving and sharing the cultures they interact with. Filmmaker Mahamat-Saleh Haroun presents well-known West African Griot, musician, and actor Sotigui Kouyaté, through travels and interviews with Kouyaté, his family and friends, both in his adopted home of France and his childhood home in West Africa. The film follows Kouyate's career, starting from the childhood experience of his favorite entertainments being replaced by French settlers' formal theatre, through early acting work in Burkina Faso, to Kouyate's eventual arrival in French theatre. Moving with Kouyaté through a number of very different cultures, the film demonstrates Kouyaté's long-standing efforts to share the indigenous arts and heritage of West Africa, including his founding of "The Griot's voice" acting company in France and the Mandeka Theatre in Bamako, Mali.
- Sotigui Kouyaté, Peter Brook, Muriel Verhoeven, Jean Claude Carrière, and others.
- Camera, Robert Millié, Stéphane Legoux ; editing, Zoë̈ Durouchoux, Myriam Ayçaguer.
- Originally produced as a documentary film in 1997.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
- Haroun, Mahamat Saleh. , Director
Gilaizeau, Claude. , Producer
Maigne, Sylvie. , Producer
Kouyaté, Sotigui. , Interviewee
Brook, Peter, 1925- , Interviewee
Verhoeven, Muriel. , Interviewee
Carrière, Jean-Claude. , Interviewee
Productions de la lanterne. , Producer
Canal Cholet (firm) , Producer
ArtMattan Productions. , Distributor
Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|