Compass and rule : architecture as mathematical practice in England, 1500-1750 / Anthony Gerbino and Stephen Johnston ; with a contribution by Gordon Higgott.
- Other Title:
- Compass & rule
Compass & rule
- New Haven [Conn.] ; London : Yale University Press ; Oxford : In association with Museum of the History of Science ; New Haven [Conn.] : In association with the Yale Center for British Art, c2009.
208 p. : ill. (some col.), maps, plans ; 30 cm.
- Architectural practice -- England -- History.
Architecture -- England -- History.
Architects -- England.
Mathematics -- England -- History.
Mathematicians -- England.
Architecture -- Mathematics.
Professions -- Social aspects -- England -- History.
Architectural practice -- England -- History -- Exhibitions.
Architecture -- England -- History -- Exhibitions.
Architects -- England -- Exhibitions.
Mathematics -- England -- History -- Exhibitions.
Mathematicians -- England -- Exhibitions.
Architecture -- Mathematics -- Exhibitions.
Professions -- Social aspects -- England -- History -- Exhibitions.
- Medieval drawing and Gothic tradition
The paper revolution: the origin of large-scale technical drawing under Henry VIII
The mathematical practitioner and the Elizabethan architect
The Vitruvian model: Inigo Jones and the culture of the book
Vision, modelling, drawing: Christopher Wren's early career
Structure and scale: the office of works at St. Paul's
Gentlemen, practitioners, and instrumental architecture
Raised high, brought low: architecture and mathematics around George III
Geometry and structure in the dome of St. Paul's cathedral / Gordon Higgott
- Published to accompany the exhibition at the Museum of the History of Science, Oxford from 16 June to 6 September 2009 and the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, from 18 February to 30 May 2010.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 189-204) and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Gift of the publisher.
- Johnston, Stephen, 1961-
Museum of the History of Science.
Yale Center for British Art.
University of Oxford. Museum of the History of Science.
- 9780300150933 (alk. paper)
0300150938 (alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|