Ladies of the German cinema [videorecording].
- Other Title:
- Ladies of the German cinema (1921)
- Phoenix, AZ : Grapevine Video, c2009.
1 videodisc (82, 50 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
Suicide -- Drama.
Murder -- Drama.
- Silent films.
Motion pictures, German.
- English intertitles; Backstairs: intertitles originally in German.
- System Details:
- Sappho: The engineer Georg de la Croix suffers a nervous breakdown due to the continued unfaithfulness of his lover, Dame Sappho. Georg ends up in a lunatic asylum. His brother Richard wants to avenge him but instead falls in love with the beautiful Dame Sappho. When Herr Richard finds out from a previous lover of Dame Sappho that she was the cause of his brother's insanity, Richard decides to put an end to his affair with her by marrying someone else but he still must see Dame Sappho, even minutes after the wedding. The love turmoil will have a "grand finale" at the end of the film in a magnificent and thrilling scene at the Opera where our heroine will pay for her old and new love sins.
Backstairs: In this early German expressionist film a young woman's love is thwarted by a postman consumed with jealousy who intercepts her beloved's letters to her and who finally slays him. Devastated, she hurls herself from a building and kills herself.
- Sappho : a drama in 5 acts / by Dimitri Buchowetzky
Backstairs / scenario by Carl Mayer.
- Sappho: Pola Negri (Sappho), Johannes Riemann (Richard de la Croix), Alfred Abel (Georg de la Croix), Albert Steinrück (Andreas).
Backstairs: Henny Porten (the maid), Fritz Kortner (the postman), Wilhelm Dieterle (the lover).
- Sappho: stage management, Dimitri Buchowetzky ; decorations, Robert Neppach ; cinematography, Arpad Viragh ; technical management, Max Kiontke.
Backstairs: settings by Paul Leni ; directed by Leopold Jessner.
- Title from disc menu.
Full screen silent films with music scores added; films originally released in 1921; Backstairs originally released as Hintertreppe.
Durations: 1:22:00; 50:00.
- Negri, Pola, 1899-1987 , Actor
Riemann, Johannes, 1888-1959. , Actor
Abel, Alfred, 1879-1937 , Actor
Steinrück, Albert. , Actor
Neppach, Robert. , Associated name
Viragh, Arpad. , Cinematographer
Kiontke, Max. , Associated name
Porten, Henny, 1890-1960. , Actor
Kortner, Fritz. , Actor
Dieterle, William, 1893-1972 , Actor
Buchowetzki, Dimitri, 1885-1932. , Author
Mayer, Carl, 1894-1944 , Scenarist
Leni, Paul, 1885-1929. , Set designer
Jessner, Leopold, 1878-1945. , Director
Grapevine Video (Firm). , Distributor
- Sappho. [videorecording]
Hintertreppe (Motion picture). English.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|