War and the media : essays on news reporting, propaganda and popular culture / edited by Paul M. Haridakis, Barbara S. Hugenberg and Stanley T. Wearden.
- Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland, c2009.
vi, 259 p. ; 23 cm.
- Mass media and war -- United States.
War in mass media.
Popular culture -- United States.
Mass media and public opinion -- United States.
Mass media and propaganda -- United States.
- "The contributors examine historical and contemporary examples that reflect the role of the media or mass communication or both during wartime. The essays highlight the centrality of communication to the perpetuation and to the resolution of war, suggesting that the symbiotic relationship between communication and war is as important to understand as war itself"--Provided by publisher.
- Images in popular culture. Protest music as alternative media during the Vietnam War era / Richard A. Lee
Created heroes, humanized soldiers, and superior western values: fantasy theme analysis of Flags of our fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima / Koji Fuse and James E. Mueller
Ghosts of Vietnam: filmic representations of unconsummated American heroism in the beginning of the twenty-first century / Wesley J. O'Brien
Drawn-out battles: exploring war-related messages in animated cartoons / Rekha Sharma
Institutional propaganda messages. Economic convergence and the celebration of mass production: the World War II advertising campaign to sell Jeeps / Kathleen German
"You boys and girls can be the minute men of today": narrative possibility and normative appeal in the U.S. Treasury's 1942 War victory comics / James J. Kimble and Trischa Goodnow
Inspecting the rhetorical arsenal: the war frame in Nazi Germany's der Kampf and America's War on terror / Roy Schwartzman
An enduring legacy of World War I: propaganda, journalism and the domestic struggle over the commodification of truth / Burton St. John III
Effects of news coverage. Coverage of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars in business magazines: the profit and economy of U.S. war and policy / Karen Rohrbauck Stout
"New Mexico's always been patriotic and loyal to the country": uncritical journalistic patriotism in wartime / David Weiss
Embedded reporting and audience response: parasocial interaction and perceived realism in embedded reporting from the Iraq War on television news / M. F. Casper and Jeffrey T. Child
Prince Harry and the Afghanistan media blackout / Terri Toles Patkin
Future. Cyberwar: the future of war? / Brett Lunceford.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Haridakis, Paul M., 1957-
Hugenberg, Barbara S., 1954-
Wearden, Stanley T.
- 9780786446070 (softcover : alk. paper)
0786446072 (softcover : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|