[De philosophia mundi] ... [etc.] [manuscript].
- Standardized Title:
- Philosophia mundi
- [Germany, circa 1150]
21 leaves : parchment, ill. ; 206 x 146 (165 x 120) mm. bound to 208 x 152 mm.
- Astronomy -- Early works to 1800.
Geography -- Early works to 1800.
Meteorology -- Early works to 1800.
Medicine -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 12th century.
- Treatise in 4 books on astronomy, geography, meteorology, and medicine, followed by a work on Gospels attributed to Hugh of Saint-Victor.
- 1. f.1r-19v: [De philosophia mundi / William of Conches]
2. f.19v-21r: Expositio Hugonis de Evangeliis / [Hugh of Saint-Victor]
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger based on predominant work.
Foliation: Parchment, 21 ; [1-21] ; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
Layout: Written in 2 columns of 34-38 lines; ruled in drypoint; prickings visible at outer edges.
Script: Written in German protogothic book script with archaic forms by 3 hands (f. 1r-19v column B line 25, 19v column B line 26-20r, 20v-21r; Erik Kwakkel, Leiden University).
Decoration: 16 maps and diagrams (f. 8v-9r, 10v-11r, 13r-13v, 15r); 6 2- or 3-line initials in red (f. 1r, 2v, 6r, 11v, 14v).
Binding: Modern parchment.
Origin: Written in Germany, circa 1150 (Kwakkel).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold by Hirsch to E. P. Goldschmidt, 1928 (Goldschmidt stock books, Grolier Club); appears in Goldschmidt cat. 18 (no. 47), cat. 21 (no. 10), cat. 23 (no. 97), cat. 25 (no. 84), 1929-1930.
Sold by E. P. Goldschmidt to Charles Joseph Singer, 1932.
Formerly owned by William A. Foyle (Beeleigh Abbey, Essex; leather bookplate inside upper cover).
Sold at auction as part of Foyle's collection at Christie's, 11 July 2000, lot 7, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle in honor of David McKnight, Director, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Penn Libraries, 2013.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 132 (LJS 384).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 384
- Singer, Charles Joseph, 1876-1960, former owner.
Foyle, William A. (William Alfred), 1885-1963, former owner.
- Hugh, of Saint-Victor, 1096?-1141. Expositio de Evangeliis.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|