Uncle Moses [videorecording] / Produced by Yiddish Talking Pictures, Inc. ; screenplay, Maurice Schwartz ; directed by Aubrey Scotto and Sidney Goldin.
- Other Title:
- Onḳl Mozes [videorecording]
- Waltham, MA : National Center for Jewish Film, c2005.
1 videodisc (83 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Asch, Sholem, 1880-1957 -- Film adaptations.
Jews -- New York (State) -- New York -- Drama.
Immigrants -- New York (State) -- New York -- Drama.
Labor unions -- New York (State) -- Drama.
Labor unions -- Drama.
Jews in motion pictures.
- Feature films.
- In Yiddish with English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC.
- According to contemporary reviewers, "Uncle Moses" follows closely the Yiddish Art Theater's adaptation of the 1918 Sholem Asch novel by the same name. Best known for his portrayals of the shtetl, in "Uncle Moses" Asch shifts his focus from Eastern Europe to New York City's Lower East Side at the turn of the twentieth century. In vivid, sometimes comic, yet always soberly realistic images, the film portrays the lives of East European shtetl Jews transplanted onto American soil. The bustling sweatshop and overcrowded tenement serve as the backdrop for a rich thematic blend of romantic intrigue, old and young love, realization of financial success, disintegration of the Jewish family, early struggles of the garment workers' union movement, and the clash of old-world values and new-world dreams. The pivotal role of Uncle Moses, benevolent despot and self-made patriarch among his landsmen, serves as an excellent vehicle for consummate actor Maurice Schwartz. While often flamboyant in his portrayal of this complex figure, Schwartz achieves a characterization of great dignity and compassion.
- Maurice Schwartz, Rubin Goldberg, Judith Abarbanell, Zvee Scooler, Mark Schweid, Sally Achor, Jacob Mestel, Rebecca Weintraub, Sam Gertler.
- Editor, Bob Snody ; photography, Frank Zucker, Buddy Harris ; music, Samuel Polonsky.
- "The Rutenberg and Everett Yiddish Film Library of the National Center for Jewish Film"--Container.
Based on the novel by Sholem Asch.
DVD release of the1932 motion picture.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
- Scotto, Aubrey, 1895-1953. , Director
Goldin, Sidney M., 1880-1937. , Director
Schwartz, Maurice, 1890-1960. , Actor
Goldberg, Rubin. , Actor
Abarbanel, Judith. , Actor
Scooler, Zvee. , Actor
Schweid, Mark, 1891-1969. , Actor
Schor, Sally. , Actor
Mestel, Jacob, 1884-1958. , Actor
Weintraub, Rebecca. , Actor
Gertler, Sam. , Actor
Snody, Bob. , Editor
Zucker, Frank. , Cinematographer
Harris, Buddy. , Cinematographer
Polonsky, Samuel. , Composer
Asch, Sholem, 1880-1957. , Author
Yiddish Talking Pictures, Inc. , Producer
National Center for Jewish Film. , Distributor
Anne and Joseph Trachtman Memorial Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|