Manuscript leaf from Physics, circa 1300.
- Standardized Title:
- Physics. Latin. Selections.
- circa 1300.
1 item (1 leaf) : parchment ; 316 x 162 (233 x 133) mm.
- Physics -- Early works to 1800.
Physical sciences -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 13th century.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 14th century.
- In Latin.
- Parchment leaf, formerly trimmed and used as a pastedown, from a manuscript of a Latin translation of the Physics of Aristotle, written in England, ca. 1300. The leaf is frame-ruled in ink for 2 columns of 36 lines and written in a Gothic script. The text is from Book 5 of the Physics, from the middle of Chapter 6 into Chapter 7 (Chapter 7 begins on the verso at the 2-line initial A in red with blue flourishing and marginal extension, with the text Amplius autem determinandum est). Running headings in red and blue, with Ph for Physica on the recto and L V for Liber V on the verso. 4 large paragraph marks in blue or red with contrasting flourishing and 1-line paragraphs alternating between red and blue.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold by Maggs Bros., cat. 1249 (1998), no. 6.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 18 (LJS 252).
- Cited as:
- UPenn Oversize LJS 252.
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|