An astronomical diary, or, Almanack for the year of our Lord Christ 1769 : being the first after bissextile or leap-year : calculated for the meridian of Boston, New-England, lat. 42° 25' north : containing ephemeris, aspects, spring tides, judgment of the weather, feasts and fasts of the church, courts in Massachusetts Bay, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, sun and moon's rising and setting, moon's palce, time of high-water, public roads with the best stages or houses to put up at, eclipses, manufacture of silk, an Indian's speech, &c. &c. &c. / by Nathaniel Ames.
- Boston : Printed and sold by the printers and booksellers ... [i.e. Richard Draper, Edes & Gill, and T. & J. Fleet, 1768]
 p. ; 18 cm. (8vo)
- m.ls 3730 l5er orMc (C) 1768 (Q)
- Almanacs, American -- Massachusetts.
- Advertisements -- Massachusetts -- Milton -- 18th century.
- Place of Publication:
- United States Massachusetts Boston.
- "Advertised in the Boston weekly news-letter (R. Draper), Nov. 3, 1768, the Boston gazette (Edes & Gill), Oct. 31, and the Boston evening post (T. & J. Fleet), Nov. 3, as 'now in the press, and shortly will be published, and sold by the printers and booksellers in town, and traders in the country.' Advertised for sale in the Evening post and the Boston gazette, Nov. 14, and in the Massachusetts gazette (Draper's edition), Nov. 17. One of the pirated editions of Ames issued by this group of printers, and made up to resemble William McAlpine's legitimate edition, but typographically distinguishable from it. Evans takes the printer to be McAlpine, evidently through extrapolation from the McAlpine editions of this and other years."--ESTC.
Signatures: [A]⁴ B-C⁴.
Title within border of double rules; text printed within ruled border.
Advertisement on verso of last printed leaf.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Robert Dechert Americana Book Fund.
Penn Libraries copy: "Orig[inal] self-wrappers, stitched as issued."--Bookseller's description.
Penn Libraries copy has a few early ms. annotations; bookseller's description of this copy laid in.
Penn Libraries copy: title leaf and leaves [A]4, B4 and C4 mended at fore-edge; leaves [A]2, [A]3, B1, B3, and C3 mended at outer corners; leaves B2, C1 and C2 mended at head outer corner.
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC W22968
Drake, M. Almanacs, 3172
- Draper, Richard, 1727-1774, printer.
Edes and Gill, printer.
T. & J. Fleet (Firm), printer.
Robert Dechert Americana Book Fund.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|