Public forgetting : the rhetoric and politics of beginning again / Bradford Vivian.
- University Park, Pa. : Pennsylvania State University Press, c2010.
x, 212 p. ; 24 cm.
- Memory -- Social aspects.
History -- Philosophy.
- "Reconsiders the negative status attributed to forgetting in both academic and popular discussions of public memory. Demonstrates how a community may adopt idioms of forgetting in order to create new and beneficial standards of public judgment concerning the lessons and responsibilities of its shared past"--Provided by publisher.
Forgetting in public life : an idiomatic history of the present
The two rivers, past and present
Forgetting without oblivion
Public forgetting : alternate histories, new heuristics
Hallowed ground, hollow memory : rhetorical form and commemorative politics on September 11, 2002
Historical forgetting : John W. Draper and the rhetorical dimensions of history
Cultural forgetting : the "timeless now" of nomadic memories
Moral and political forgetting : Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address and Second Inaugural
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780271036656 (alk. paper)
0271036656 (alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|