The return of Nathan Becker [videorecording] / directed by Boris Shpis and Mark Milman ; screenplay by Peretz Markish.
- Other Title:
- Also known as: Nosn Becker Fort Aheym
ALso known as: Vozvrashchenie Neytana Bekkera
- Waltham, MA : National Center for Jewish Film, c2009.
1 videodisc (85 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Bricklayers -- Soviet Union -- 20th century -- Drama.
Homecoming -- Soviet Union -- 20th century -- Drama.
Jews -- Soviet Union -- 20th century -- Drama.
Soviet Union -- Social conditions -- 20th century -- Drama.
- Propaganda films.
Motion pictures, Russian.
- In Yiddish and Russian with English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, all regions.
- "This rare, newly restored feature was originally advertised as "the first Yiddish talkie from Soviet Russia." The plot centers on Nathan Becker, a Jewish bricklayer who returns to Russia after twenty-eight years in America. After reuniting with his father, Nathan leaves the shtetl to work in the new industrial center of Magnitogorsk. There, he soon finds that the work habits he acquired in America conflict with the Soviet system. While the film's resolution emphasizes the triumph of socialist productivity, the screenplay by Yiddish author Peretz Markish reflects the warmth and humor of the Jewish spirit."--Publisher's website.
- Boris Babochkin, David Gutman, Solomon Mikhoels, Elena Kashitzkaya, V. Yablonski.
- Cinematography, Yevgeni Mikhajlov; music, Yevgeni Brusilovsky.
- Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1932, and restored in 1991.
Title from introductory screen; original credits missing; cataloged from container, credits of 1991 restored version, and entry on IMDb website.
"Print is made from the only extant materials. Reel one is a poor quality Yiddish language version; the remainder of the film, including a re-edited part of reel one, is a dubbed Russian language version."--Opening frames.
Production credits from publisher and other sources.
"Rutenberg and Everett Yiddish Film Library."--Closing frames.
- Local notes:
- Freedman Archive Collection. Disc V0184.
- Shpis, Boris. , Director
Milman, Mark. , Director, Director
Markish, Peretz, 1895-1952. , Screenwriter
Babochkin, Boris, 1904-1975. , Actor
Guṭman, Daṿid. , Actor
Mikhoėls, Solomon Mikhaĭlovich, 1890-1948. , Actor
Kashitzkaya, Elena. , Actor
Rutenberg and Everett Yiddish Film Library. , Distributor
National Center for Jewish Film. , Distributor
Robert and Molly Freedman Jewish Music Archive.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|