African market women (compilation) [videorecording] / co-produced by Morag Productions Inc. and the NFB, English Program, Studio D ; producers, Barbara Doran, Ginny Stikeman and Erna Buffie ; written by Barbara Doran, Ginny Stikeman ; director, Barbara Doran.
- Other Title:
- Title on container: African market women series [videorecording]
- [Montreal] : NFB ONF, c2009.
- Government document
1 videodisc (70 min., 51 sec.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Businesswomen -- Africa, East.
Credit -- Developing countries.
Women-owned business enterprises -- Africa, East.
Women -- Africa, East -- Economic conditions.
- Instructional films.
- In English and undetermined East African language with English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD-R, NTSC, multizone.
- In the rapidly expanding cities of East Africa, where unemployment is high and opportunities are scarce, women are selling in the marketplace as an economic option. They share a common barrier--access to credit. The African Market Women Series documents the creative and innovative measures designed by women to get the credit they need, and profiles East African women who are becoming significant participants in their local economies. From the Shore is the story of how a small group of Muslim women in a Kenyan village broke with tradition, bought a boat and now employ the men in a thriving fish business. Where Credit Is Due introduces enterprising Kenyan market women who have been able to obtain loans through a special credit program introduced by Women's World Banking. Fair Trade introduces a fishmonger, a stone-crusher and other women who have thrown off a history of exclusion to venture into the marketplace.
- pt. 1. From the shore
pt. 2. Where credit is due
pt. 3. Fair trade.
- Narration, Erna Buffie, Augusta LaPaix.
- Cinematographer, Kent Nason; editors, Janice Brown ... [et al.]; music, Shinoni Women's Group ... [et al.].
- Videodisc release of three short motion pictures produced in 1990.
"A National Film Board of Canada release."--Container.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
- Doran, Barbara. , Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Stikeman, Ginny. , Screenwriter, Producer
Buffie, Erna. , Narrator
LaPaix, Augusta. , Narrator
Shinoni Women's Group. , Performer
National Film Board of Canada. Studio D. , Producer
Morag Productions. , Producer
National Film Board of Canada. , Distributor
Rosengarten Family Fund.
- From the shore [videorecording]
Where credit is due [videorecording]
Fair trade [videorecording]
- Publisher Number:
9190105 NFB ONF
153C 9190 105 NFB ONF
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|