The red shoes [videorecording] / a Janus Films release ; J. Arthur Rank presents a production of the Archers ; from an original screenplay by Emeric Pressburger with additional dialogue by Keith Winter ; written, produced, and directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger.
- Other Title:
- Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's The red shoes [videorecording]
- Special ed. ; ful screen.
- [United States] : The Criterion Collection : ITV Global Entertainment, c2010.
- Criterion collection; 44.
Criterion collection ; 44.
2 videodiscs (134 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet (24 p. : col ill. ; 19 cm.)
- Andersen, H. C. (Hans Christian), 1805-1875 -- Film adaptations.
Ballet companies -- Drama.
Ballerinas -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
- Feature films.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- System Details:
- DVD, region 1, NTSC; Dolby Digital mono.
- Centers on the dilemma of a young ballerina torn between the composer who loves her and the impresario determined to fashion her into a great dancer.
- Anton Walbrook, Marius Goring, Moira Shearer.
- Director of photography, Jack Cardiff; choreography, Robert Helpmann; editor, Reginald Mills; music composed, conducted and arranged by Brian Easdale.
- Aspect ratio 1.33:1.
DVD release of the 1948 motion picture.
Based on a fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen.
Special features: audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie, including interviews with Marius Goring, Moira Shearer, Jack Cardiff, Brian Easdale and Martin Scorsese; excerpts from Powell and Pressburger's novelization of The Red shoes and from Hans Christian Anderson's original fairy tale (in English); Martin Scorsese's collection of Red shoes memorabilia; publicity and production stills; "The Red shoes sketches" (an animated film of Hein Heckroth's painted storyboards) with a comparison to The Red shoes ballet; original theatrical trailer; Powell and Pressburger filmography, with film clips and stills.
Booklet features an essay by critic David Ehrenstein and a description of the restoration by UCLA film archivist Robert Gitt.
- Powell, Michael, 1905-1990. , Director, Producer, Screenwriter
Pressburger, Emeric, 1902-1988. , Director, Producer, Screenwriter
Rank, J. Arthur, 1888-1972. , Producer
Winter, Keith, 1906-1983. , Screenwriter
Walbrook, Anton, 1869-1967 , Actor
Goring, Marius, 1912-1998 , Actor
Shearer, Moira, 1926-2006. , Actor
Cardiff, Jack. , Cinematographer
Mills, Reginald, 1912-1990. , Editor
Helpmann, Robert, Sir, 1909-1986. , Choreographer
Easdale, Brian, 1909-1995 , Composer
Andersen, H. C. (Hans Christian), 1805-1875. , Author
Archers (Firm). , Producer
Janus Films. , Producer
ITV Global Entertainment. , Producer
Criterion Collection (Firm) , Distributor
- Publisher Number:
CC1907 The Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|