Orvieto border arbitration, 1486.
1 item (1 leaf) : parchment.
- Pius III, Pope, ca. 1440-1503.
Della Rovere, Giorgio.
Real property -- Italy -- 15th century.
Orvieto (Italy) -- History -- 15th century.
- Legal documents.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 15th century.
- In Latin.
- Final settlement, dated December 30, 1486, of the arbitration of a border dispute between Francesco di Nanni Todeschini Piccolomini, archbishop of Siena (cardinal, later Pope Pius III), as owner of an estate called Montalfino (elsewhere written as Monte Alfini), near Orvieto, and Giorgio della Rovere, bishop of Orvieto, as owner of the estate Castrum Georgii (Castro di Giorgio). The cardinal initiated the arbitration with a petition to Pope Innocent VIII in 1485, which is transcribed in this manuscript. See Ms. Coll. 742, Folder 46 and Folder 112, for other documents related to this property.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Frederick North, Earl of Guilford, and Sir Thomas Phillipps (part of ms. 6067).
- Cited in:
- From collection described in Zacour, Norman P. and Hirsch, Rudolf. Catalogue of Manuscripts in the Libraries of the University of Pennsylvania to 1800 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1965), p. 163 (Ms. Lea 71).
- North, Frederick, Earl of Guilford, 1766-1827, former owner.
Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner.
- Contained In:
- Piccolomini Family Papers. Folder 52
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|