Seurat re-viewed / edited by Paul Smith.
- University Park, Pa. : Pennsylvania State University Press, c2009.
- Refiguring modernism; 14.
xiii, 258 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 25 cm.
- Seurat, Georges, 1859-1891 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- "An anthology of essays exploring the work of Georges Seurat (1859-1891). Sections are devoted to technique and theory, Seurat's engagement with social issues, irony regarding the paintings' content, aesthetic effects, and the relation of his work to literary symbolism"--Provided by publisher.
- List of illustrations
Introduction / Paul Smith
Technique and theory. Hors-d'oeuvre : edges, boundaries, and marginality, with particular reference to Seurat's drawings / Anthea Callen
Seurat and color theory / Georges Roque
Society and the subject. The family and the father : the Grande Jatte and its absences / S. Hollis Clayson
Illuminations of disenchantment : Seurat's Parade de Cirque / Jonathan Crary
Irony. Interpreting Seurat's figure paintings / John House
The ironic eye/I in Jules Laforgue and Georges Seurat / Joan U. Halperin
Sensation. Seurat and the act of sensing : perception as artifact / Brendan Prendeville
Grave Seurat / Richard Shiff
Stillness and symbolism. "Souls of glass" : Seurat and the ethics of "timeless" experience / Paul Smith
Seurat and Mallarmean thought / Richard Hobbs
List of contributors
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Smith, Paul, 1956-
- 9780271035451 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0271035455 (pbk. : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|