Historical observations upon the reigns of Edward I. II. III. and Richard II. : with remarks upon their faithful counsellors and false favourites / written by a person of honour ...
- London : Printed for J. Partridge and M. Gillyflower ..., MDCLXXXIX 
, 192 p. ; 16 cm. (8vo)
- e-s, d.be stnd tiof (3) 1689 (R)
- Great Britain -- History -- Plantagenets, 1154-1399 -- Early works to 1800.
- Advertisements -- England -- London -- 17th century.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- "[A] person of honour" is Sir Robert Howard. Cf. ESTC.
"This work is ascribed by Walpole in his 'Royal and noble authors' to George Savile, Marquis of Halifax; but it was republished in 1690 with the title of, 'The history of the reigns of Edward and Richard II. ... written by ... Sr. R. Howard.'"--Brit. Mus. Cat., v. 59, col. 556; cf. also H.J. Oliver, Sir Robert Howard (1963), p. 263-265.
Signatures: [A]² B-N⁸.
Errors in pagination: p. 146-161 numbered 148-149, 152-153, 156-157, 160-161, each pair being duplicated.
Title within border of double rules.
With an initial advertisement leaf.
"Licensed, Jan. 17th. 1688/9. Rob. Midgley."
- Local notes:
- RBC copy has armorial bookplate of James Rimington and slip with bookseller's printed description of this edition on front pastedown.
Culture Class Collection copy imperfect: first 2 pages of introduction wanting.
Frost Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2010 by Robert Frost.
Frost Collection copy has armorial bookplate of Hugh Cecil Lowther, Earl of Lonsdale, on front pastedown.
Frost Collection copy: right board damaged.
- Penn Provenance:
- Elias, Archibald C. (donor) (RBC copy)
Rimington, James (bookplate) (RBC copy)
Frost, Robert (donor) (Frost Collection copy)
Lonsdale, Hugh Cecil Lowther, Earl of, 1857-1944 (bookplate) (Frost Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- Wing (CD-ROM, 1996), H2997
- Halifax, George Savile, Marquis of, 1633-1695.
Partridge, James, fl. 1683-1694, bookseller.
Gilliflower, Matthew, bookseller.
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
English Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
Robert Frost Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|