Reading modernist poetry / Michael H. Whitworth.
- Chichester, West Sussex, U.K. ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Reading poetry.
xi, 237 p. ; 24 cm.
- English poetry -- 20th century -- History and criticism -- Theory, etc.
American poetry -- 20th century -- History and criticism -- Theory, etc.
Poetry -- Explication.
- Part one. Subject matter: reflexivity; landscapes, locations, and texts; explorations of consciousness
Part two. Techniques: interpreting obscurities, negotiating negatives; the sound of the poem; allusion and quotation; the language of modernist poetry: diction and dialogue; literal and metaphorical language; mythology, mythography, and mythopoesis; who is speaking?
Part three. Form, structure, and evaluation: form; subjects and objects in modernist lyric; temporality and modernist lyric; the dramatic monologue; modernism, epic, and the long poem; modernist endings; value and evaluation.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9781405167314 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1405167319 (hardcover : alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|