Rawḍat al-adhhān fī maʻrifat tashrīḥ badan al-insān [manuscript].
- Standardized Title:
- Tashrīḥ-i Manṣūrī
- [Persia], A.H. 813 (1411)
30 leaves : paper, col. ill. ; 250 x 168 (184 x 105) mm. bound to 257 x 185 mm.
- Human anatomy -- Early works to 1800.
Medicine, Persian -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Persian -- 15th century.
Manuscripts, Arabic -- 15th century.
- Persian and Arabic.
- Persian anatomist and physician.
- Later copy, probably in the hand of the author, of an anatomy treatise originally written in 1396, with chapters on bones, nerves, veins, arteries and muscles, and complex organs. Some marginal notes.
- Ms. codex.
Title from title page (f. 1r).
Collation: Paper, i (later endleaf) + 30 + i (later endleaf).
Layout: Written in 20 long lines.
Script: Written in naskh script, probably by the author.
Decoration: Full-page anatomical diagrams of bones (f. 10r) and nerves (f. 15v); full-page color anatomical diagrams of veins (f. 19v), arteries (f. 21v), and complex organs including uterus with fetus (f. 30r); geometric diagrams in red ink (f. 6r, 6v); small diagram sketched in ink in margin (f. 5v); some words in red throughout.
Binding: Later morocco.
Origin: Written in Persia in A.H. 813 (1411; colophon, f. 29).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Formerly owned by Muhammad Reza and the Sultan's Hospital in Iṣfahān, Iran.
Sold at Sotheby's, 18 Oct. 1995, lot 51.
Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London), June 1996, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 85-87 (LJS 49).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 49.
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|