African women's report 2009 : measuring gender inequalities in Africa : experiences and lessons from the African Gender and Development Index / Economic Commission for Africa.
- Other Title:
- Measuring gender inequalities in Africa : experiences and lessons from the African Gender and Development Index
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia : United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, 2009.
- Government document
xxiv, 234 p. ; 24 cm.
- Women's rights -- Africa.
Women in development -- Africa.
Sex role -- Government policy -- Africa.
Women -- Africa -- Social conditions.
- This publication is based on the results of piloting the African Gender and Development Index (AGDI) in 12 African countries across the five subregions of the continent. Making a case for countries to invest in sex disaggregated data collection, the outcomes provide an indication of the general situation of women across the continent. The result of the AGDI trials demonstrate that countries have shown commitment to international, regional and subregional treaties affecting women through overwhelming ratification. The report confirms existing MDG status reports which indicate remarkable progress being made with respect to MDG2 on universal Access to Basic Education. With the aid of systematic collection of sex aggregated data, the report calls for enhanced commitment towards accelerated implementation of gender equality as outlined in frameworks such as the ICPD+15, Beijing+15, the Convention of the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women and the African Women's Protocol.--Publisher's description.
Commitment to women's rights
Commitment to addressing violence against women
Commitment to access and quality education
Commitment to access and quality health care
Access to economic opportunities and resources
African women's agency and decision-making
Perspectives, conclusions and way forward.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 203-209).
- United Nations. Economic Commission for Africa.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|