The origins of the necessary and proper clause / Gary Lawson ... [et al.].
- New York : Cambridge University Press, 2010.
x, 179 p. ; 24 cm.
- Legislative power -- United States.
United States. Congress
Legislation -- United States.
Legislators -- United States.
Constitutional law -- United States.
- "This book uses three independent lines of research to trace the origins of the Necessary and Proper Clause"--Provided by publisher.
"The Necessary and Proper Clause is one of the most important parts of the U.S. Constitution. Today this short thirty-nine-word paragraph is cited as the legal foundation for much of the modern federal government. Yet constitutional scholars have pronounced its origins and original meaning a mystery. Through three independent lines of research, the authors trace the lineage of the Necessary and Proper Clause to the everyday law of the founding era - the same law that American founders such as Madison, Hamilton, and Washington applied in their daily lives. The origins of the Necessary and Proper Clause can be found in the founding-era law-governing agency, public administration, and corporations. All of those areas were undergirded by common principles of fiduciary responsibility - reflecting the founders' view that a public office is truly a public trust. This explains the choice of language in the clause and provides clues about its meaning. This book thus serves as a reference source for scholars seeking to understand the intellectual foundations of one of the Constitution's most important clauses"--Provided by publisher.
- Machine generated contents note: 1. Raiders of the lost clause: excavating the buried foundations of the Necessary and Proper Clause; 2. Discretionary grants in eighteenth-century English legislation; 3. An ocean away: eighteenth-century drafting in England and America; 4. The legal origins of the Necessary and Proper Clause; 5. The framing and adoption of the Necessary and Proper Clause; 6. Necessity, propriety, and reasonableness; 7. The corporate law background of the Necessary and Proper Clause.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Lawson, Gary, 1958-
- 9780521119580 (hardback)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|