Il capitano che esamina un' che viene al concorso p[er] haver' la piazza di bombardiero [manuscript].
- [Rome?, Italy, ca. 1625-1675?]
88 leaves : paper, col. ill. ; 257 x 190 mm. bound to 268 x 196 mm.
- Artillery -- Early works to 1800.
Explosives -- Early works to 1800.
Military art and science -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Italian -- 17th century.
- Information on the theory and practice of artillery presented in a question-and-answer format, with a captain and an applicant for the position of bombardier as the interlocutors. The manuscript is in two parts, probably written by two different hands and with illustrations in the second part only. Corrections or additions have been made on several pages of the first part (p. 6, 8, 9, 50, 51, 55, 61, 63, 73).
- Ms. codex.
Title from caption title (p. 1).
Collation: Paper, 88; 1¹²(+1) 2-4¹⁶ 5¹⁴ 6⁶(-1) 7⁸; [ii], 1-37, 28-120, 123-130, 133-162, 165-166, 169-170, 173-174; contemporary and later (from p. 98) pagination in ink, upper right or left corners.
Layout: Written in 19-23 (p. 1-98) or 26-30 (p. 99-174) long lines; vertical bounding lines ruled in lead for first part of manuscript (p. 1-98).
Script: Written in cursive script, probably by 2 hands (p. 1-98, 99-174).
Decoration: Numerous pen-and-wash illustrations in the second part of the manuscript (p. 99-165) depicting many kinds of artillery equipment and how to load and deploy them; 2 architectural sketches, one in ink of the top of a column (p. i) and one in red chalk elaborated with ink of a papal baldaquin (p. 173).
Binding: Contemporary stiff parchment.
Origin: Written in Italy, possibly Rome, in the mid-17th century.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold by Martayan Lan (New York) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Mar. 2002.
Deposit by Lawrence Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 124 (LJS 432).
- Cited as:
- LJS 432
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|