[Yoso zusetsu] [manuscript].
- [Japan, ca. 1600]
29 leaves : paper, col. ill. ; 270 x 195 mm. bound to 270 x 195 mm.
- Abscess -- Early works to 1800.
Tumors -- Early works to 1800.
Surgical instruments and apparatus -- Early works to 1800.
Medicine, Chinese -- Japan -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Chinese -- 16th century.
Manuscripts, Chinese -- 17th century.
- Illustrated treatise on the diagnosis of abscesses and tumors and their treatment, mostly through acupuncture or burning substances near the skin. Copied in Japan in Chinese for Japanese practitioners.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Paper, 29 double sheet folios.
Layout: Written in up to 10 columns of up to 24 characters.
Script: Written in Chinese script.
Decoration: 47 medical illustrations in colored inks and wash of partially clothed patients with tumors or abscesses; 1 illustration of a hand in connection with a discussion of calculations (f. 28r); 2 illustrations in black ink of surgical instruments (f. 25v-26r); 2 diagrams (f. 26v, 28v); and one scene showing 2 doctors examining a patient (f. 29v). Vowels, punctuation, and other guides written in red ink.
Binding: Fukuro-toji (stitched) in later wrappers, with inscriptions on the upper cover.
Origin: Written in Japan, ca. 1600.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold by Martayan Lan (New York) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Mar. 2002.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 96-97 (LJS 433).
- Cited as:
- LJS 433
- Hatano, Baiko, scribe.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|