[Maqālah fī al-ʻamal bi-al-yad] [manuscript].
- [Iraq?], A.H. 869 (1464)
108 leaves : paper, ill. ; 177 x 125 (135 x 90) mm. bound to 177 x 140 mm.
- Surgery -- Early works to 1800.
Surgical instruments and apparatus -- Early works to 1800.
Drawings (visual works)
Manuscripts, Arabic -- 15th century.
- Treatise on surgery. Parts of the second chapter and all of the third chapter of the 3-chapter treatise, which is the last of the 30 treatises in the Taṣrīf li-man ʻajiza ʻan al-taʼlīf, a larger work by al-Zahrawi. Topics in the manuscript include incision, perforation, blood-letting, wounds, bone-setting, dislocations, and sprains. Contemporary corrections in margins; additional notes in a Maghrebi hand also in margins.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Paper, 108; 1¹² 2⁸ 3¹² 4⁴ 5⁸ 6¹² 7⁸ 8¹² 9⁸ 10-11¹²; [1-85, i, 86-107]; modern foliation in pencil, upper center recto. Catchword on each leaf, lower left verso.
Layout: Written in 19 long lines.
Script: Written in naskh script.
Decoration: Numerous illustrations of surgical instruments in black or black and red ink; headings in red.
Binding: Later morocco binding, blind-stamped, with flap.
Origin: Written in Mesopotamia (now mostly Iraq) in A.H. 869 (1464).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 2 Apr. 2002, lot 23, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 87-88 (LJS 435).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 435.
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|