Beyond slavery : overcoming its religious and sexual legacies / edited by Bernadette J. Brooten ; with the editorial assistance of Jacqueline L. Hazelton.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- Black religion, womanist thought, social justice.
Black religion/womanist thought/social justice
vi, 352 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Women slaves -- United States -- History.
Women -- Sexual behavior -- United States -- History.
Slavery -- Religious aspects.
- "In a United States that continues to be driven by racial and cultural divisions, from the disproportionately high number of incarcerated African Americans to heartfelt disagreements over the true nature of marriage and the proper role of faith in public policy, the Feminist Sexual Ethics Project (from which this book originated) has identified a crucial nexus underlying these fiercest of arguments: The conjunction of religion, slavery, and sexuality"--Provided by publisher.
- Introduction / Bernadette J. Brooten
PART I: A prayer: Prayer for my daughter (poem) / Nancy Rawles
PART II: Overcoming slavery's legacies in the United States: The paradox of silence and display: sexual violation of enslaved women, and contemporary contradictions in Black female sexuality / Dorothy Roberts
From Mammy to welfare queen: images of Black women in public-policy formation / Emilie M. Townes
From plantations to prisons: African American women prisoners in the United States / Ellen Barry
PART III: Overcoming slavery's legacies in religious law: The purchase of His money: slavery and the ethics of Jewish marriage / Gail Labovitz
Slavery and sexual ethics in Islam / Kecia Ali
PART IV: Ancient origins of the problems: "She shall ot go free as male slaves do": seveloping views about slavery and gender in the laws of the Hebrew Bible / David P. Wright
Early Christianity, slavery, and women's bodies / Jennifer A. Glancy
Gender, slavery, and technology: the shaping of the early Christian moral imagination / Sheila Briggs
PART V: Why sexual ethics needs history: "As if she were his wife": slavery and sexual ethics in late Medieval Spain / Debra Blumenthal
Love, sex, slavery, and Sally Hemings / Mia Bay
Breaking the silence: sexual hypocrisies from Thomas Jefferson to Strom Thurmond / Catherine Clinton
PART VI: Should the Bible form the basis of public policy: The Bible, slavery, and the problem of authority / Sylvester A. Johnson
The "purity of the white woman, not the purity of the Negro woman": the contemporary legacies of historical laws against interracial marriage / Fay Botham
PART VII: The stories we tell: Mammy's daughters; or, the DNA of a feminist sexual ethics / Frances Smith Foster
PART VIII: Restorative justice: Enslaved Black women: a theology of justice and reparations / Dwight N. Hopkins
PART IX: A mediation: A visit from the old mistress (poem) / Florence Ladd
Epilogue / Mende Nazer, with Bernadette J. Brooten.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Brooten, Bernadette J.
Hazelton, Jacqueline L.
- 9780230100169 (hbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|