Exploring disability : a sociological introduction.
- 2nd ed. / Colin Barnes and Geof Mercer.
- Cambridge ; Malden, MA : Polity, 2010.
vii, 341 p. ; 25 cm.
- People with disabilities.
People with disabilities -- Social conditions.
- Acknowledgements Preface to the Second Edition Chapter 1. Introduction: Analysing Disability * Grass roots mobilisation * Sociological perspectives * A brief word on terminology * Overview of the book Chapter 2. Competing Models and Approaches * Socio-historical perspectives * The individual or medical model of disability * Looking beyond individual solutions * The social model of disability * The biopsychosocial model of disability * Review Chapter 3. Sociological Approaches to Chronic Illness and Disability * Functionalism, Parsons and the sick role * Labelling perspectives and stigmatisation * Negotiated and interpretive accounts * Medical and professional dominance * Towards a political economy of medicine and sickness * Embodiment and post structuralism * Review Chapter 4. Theories of Disability * Welfarism and its discontents * Theories of disability and oppression * Disability and social divisions * Postmodernism: back to the future? * Review Chapter 5. Social Exclusion and Disabling Barriers * Disability policy and the welfare state * Education * Financial circumstances * Employment * Built environment, housing and transport * Leisure and social participation * Review Chapter 6. Routes to Independent Living * The critique of residential institutions * Policy direction towards independence * Care or independence? * User led organisations centres for independent living * Direct payments * Service user involvement * Review Chapter 7. Politics and Disability Politics * Politics and disabled people * Civil rights and legislation * A new social movement? * Identity politics * Review Chapter 8. Culture, the Media and Identity * Sociological approaches to culture * Cultural representations of disability * Cultural studies approaches * Towards a disability culture * Review Chapter 9. Disability and the Right to Life * Ethics, culture and rights * Disability and Eugenics * Disability and biotechnology * Life and death decisions * Review Chapter 10. Disability and Development: Global Perspectives * Disability, industrialisation and globalization * Comparative perspectives on impairment * Poverty, disability and social exclusion * Internationalization of disability policy * Disability activism: mobilizing for change Review Bibliography
- Previous ed.: published as by Colin Barnes, Geof Mercer and Tom Shakespeare. 1999.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -321) and index.
- Mercer, G. (Geoffrey)
- 9780745634869 (pbk.)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|