[Zakhīrah-ʹi Khvārazmshāhī] [manuscript].
- [Persia, 13--]
352 leaves : paper, col. ill. ; 395 x 317 (278 x 230) mm. bound to 400 x 322 mm.
- Medicine, Persian -- Early works to 1800.
Manuscripts, Persian -- 14th century.
- Medical encyclopedia in 9 books, with discussions of physiology, anatomy, pathology, diagnosis, fevers, specific diseases, surgery, fractures, poisons, and antidotes. Includes indexes, although some leaves are missing. Most leaves re-margined with pink paper; a few leaves have original margins and extensive marginal notes or commentary (f. 255v-261r).
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Foliation: Paper, ii + 352 + ii; [1-352]; modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. Catchwords added after re-margination, lower left verso.
Layout: Written in 33 long lines; ruled in blind.
Script: Written in naskh script, with 14 replacement folios written in a second contemporary hand.
Decoration: Illuminated shamsa with erased inscription (f. 125r), miniature of a couple sitting under a tree(f. 214v), and chapter headings (f. 62v, 125v); text block outlined in red; rubrics in red.
Binding: 18th-century blind-stamped leather remnants laid down on morocco.
Origin: Written in Persia in the 14th century.
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Two dated ownership stamps (f. 1r).
Formerly owned by the Hagop Kevorkian Fund; sold at auction at Sotheby's with other Kevorkian materials, 27 Apr. 1981, lot 108.
Appears in H. P. Kraus's cat. 186 (1991), no. 173.
Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 20.
Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 84-85 (LJS 189).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 189.
- Qutb al-Dīn Muhammad, Shah of Khorezm, 1097-1127, dedicatee.
Stanitz, John D., former owner.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
Hagop Kevorkian Fund, former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|