Foreign Office files for India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, 1947-1980 [electronic resource].
- Other Title:
- Archives Direct. Foreign Office files for India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, 1947-1980
Title from title bar: FO India, Pakistan and Afghanistan
- Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK : Adam Matthew Digital, 2011-
- Archives direct.
1 online resource : illustrations.
- India -- History -- 1947- -- Sources -- Databases.
Pakistan -- History -- 20th century -- Sources -- Databases.
Bangladesh -- History -- 20th century -- Sources -- Databases.
Afghanistan -- History -- 20th century -- Sources -- Databases.
Great Britain. Foreign Office -- Archives -- Databases.
Great Britain. Foreign Office.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- This collection focuses on the political and social history of India, Pakistan and Afghanistan. Includes content on Bangladesh, Ceylon/Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Sikkim, Kashmir, and the Maldives. Materials available are diplomatic dispatches, inward and outward telegrams, newspaper cuttings and transcripts, maps, photographs, political and economic reports, accounts of visits and tours, minutes of meetings, conference proceedings, letters, leaflets, and ephemera.
- Section I. Independence, partition, and the Nehru era, 1947-64
section II. South Asian conflicts and independence for Bangladesh, 1964-71
section III. Afghanistan and the Cold War, emergency rule in India, and the resumption of civilian rule in Pakistan, 1972-80.
- At head of title: Archives Direct, sources from the National Archives, UK.
"This collection of files from the Foreign Office (later the Foreign and Commonwealth Office) and Dominions Office focuses on the political and social history of India, Pakistan and Afghanistan. ... consists of the complete run of documents in the series DO 133, DO 134 and FCO 37, as well as all documents covering the Indian subcontinent in the FO 371 series."
"These three collections consist of the British Government's files on the countries of South Asia from shortly before Indian partition and independence up to 1980. This was a turbulent era in the region's history. The partition of 1947 and the splitting apart of Pakistan in 1971 were accompanied by loss of life and enormous population movements, as refugees fled violence or ethnic conflict. India fought Pakistan twice in Kashmir, in 1947-8 and 1965, and China in the Himalayas in 1962. Stable and democratic government proved elusive outside India, the region experiencing a succession of coups: in Pakistan in 1958 and 1977, in Afghanistan in 1973, 1978 and 1979, and in Bangladesh in 1975; democracy underwent a flowering and then a withering in Nepal, where King Mahendra established a partyless autocracy in 1959. Even in India, which had successfully established a democratic, secular state at independence, the government of India Gandhi became increasingly authoritarian and intolerant of dissent in the 1970s, imprisoning hundreds of opponents ... The files in this collection cover these events from the standpoint of British officialdom. In addition to high politics, the papers in the files cover such issues as economic and industrial development, trade, migration, visits to South Asia by British politicians and by South Asian politicians to Britain and elsewhere, education, administrative reorganisation, conflict over language, aid, political parties, agriculture and irrigation, and television and the press. Together they form a resource of fundamental value to scholars and students of modern South Asia."
Description based on contents viewed on July 25, 2017; title from home page.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Rosengarten Family Fund.
Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
- Great Britain. Foreign Office, curator.
Great Britain. Foreign and Commonwealth Office, curator.
Great Britain. Dominions Office, curator.
National Archives (Great Britain), current owner.
Adam Matthew Digital (Firm), issuing body.
Rosengarten Family Fund.
Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
- Contained In:
- Contained in (work): Archives direct.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|