[Dogale issued by Doge Alvise Mocenigo to Girolamo Pruli, podestà of Brescia] [manuscript].
- [Venice], 1574.
210 leaves : parchment ; 218 x 146 (141 x 88) mm. bound to 228 x 172 mm.
- Brescia (Italy). Podestà.
Brescia (Italy) -- Politics and government.
Venice (Italy) -- Politics and government -- 1508-1797 -- Sources.
Manuscripts, Latin -- 16th century.
Manuscripts, Italian -- 16th century.
- Latin and Italian.
- Commission from Alvise Mocenigo, doge of Venice, addressed to Girolamo Priuli (not to be confused with the Girolamo Priuli, of the same family, who served as doge of Venice and died in 1567), concerning Priuli's duties, rights, and obligations while holding the position of podestà (civil administrator) of Brescia, a mainland community west of Venice under Venetian control.
- Ms. codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Collation: Parchment, i (modern paper) + 210 + i (modern paper); 1-21¹⁰; [1-210], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Vertical catchwords on the lower right verso of the last leaf of each gathering.
Layout: Written in 21 long lines; ruled in faint ink with vertical bounding lines.
Script: Written in a humanistic cursive script.
Decoration: Opening lines in gold display capitals (f. 1v).
Binding: 16th-century Venetian morocco over pasteboards, gilt-lacquered sunk-compartment ornamentation, with the winged lion of San Marco on the upper cover and an armorial stamp on the lower cover; remnants of ties; pastedowns, endpapers, and headbands renewed.
Origin: Signed in the Palazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace), Venice, dated 6 March 1574 (f. 31v).
- Local notes:
- Lawrence J. Schoenberg & Barbara Brizdle Manuscript Initiative.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold at auction at Christie's, 2 June 1999, lot 43, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Cited in:
- Described in Transformation of knowledge: early manuscripts from the collection of Lawrence J. Schoenberg (London: Paul Holberton, 2006), p. 152 (LJS 304).
- Cited as:
- UPenn LJS 304
- Priuli, Girolamo, recipient.
Schoenberg, Lawrence J., former owner.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|