A plurality of worlds / written in French by the author of the Dialogues of the dead ; translated into English by Mr. Glanvill.
- Other records:
- Standardized Title:
- Entretiens sur la pluralité des mondes. English
- London : Printed for R.W. and sold by Tho. Osbourne ..., 1702.
, 156,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 16 cm. (8vo)
- ndpt s.of heoo (wve (3) 1702 (A)
- Plurality of worlds -- Early works to 1800.
Moon -- Early works to 1800.
Life on other planets -- Early works to 1800.
- Booksellers' advertisements -- England -- London -- 18th century.
- Place of Publication:
- England London.
- Translation, from the French, of: M. de Fontenelle, Entretiens sur la pluralité des mondes.
- Errors in pagination: ESTC reports three errors: p. 121, 135, and 141 misnumbered 101, 115, and 121, respectively; other libraries report only one error: p. 121 misnumbered 101.
Title within ruled border.
Advertisements for "books printed, and sold by Tho. Osborne ... and Rich. Wellington" on p. -.
- Local notes:
- Culture Class Collection copy imperfect: leaves A1-A2 (incl. frontispiece) and two leaves of plates wanting.
Culture Class Collection copy has only one error in pagination: p. 121 misnumbered 101.
Culture Class Collection copy has the autograph, in pencil, of Elisha Whittelsey, on the front free endpaper.
Culture Class Collection copy imperfect: a section at the head of the title page has been cut off, with no apparent loss of printed text. Most likely, the intent was to be rid of a previous ownership inscription, for still present on the page, in ink, can be read "his book", and the ms. date August 22, 1759.
- Penn Provenance:
- Whittelsey, Elisha, 1815-1873 (autograph) (Culture Class Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC, N11587
- Glanvill, John, 1664?-1735.
Osborne, Thomas, d. 1743, bookseller.
Wellington, Richard, -1715, publisher.
Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
French Culture Class Collection (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|