The Broadway melody [videorecording] / Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer presents ; controlled by Loew's Incorporated ; story by Edmund Goulding ; lyrics by Arthur Freed ; music by Nacio Herb Brown ; dialogue by Norman Houston and James Gleason ; directed by Harry Beaumont.
- [S.I. : s.n., 20--].
1 videodisc (100 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
- Sisters -- Drama.
Entertainers -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
Triangles (Interpersonal relations) -- Drama.
Theater -- New York (State) -- New York -- Drama.
Broadway (New York, N.Y.) -- Drama.
New York (N.Y.) -- Drama.
- Comedy films.
- In English with optional subtitles in English, French, or Spanish.
- System Details:
- The Broadway Melody offers snarky, wiseacre humor, and effervescent charm. The Mahoney Sisters are successful singers in the boondocks, and now they've come to New York for the big time. Hank (Henrietta) is the smart one, while Queenie is the beautiful one--as Hank's fiancé Eddie Kearns says, they're "a coupla swell kids." Songwriter Eddie gets the girls a part in a revue featuring his song, "The Broadway Melody." Eddie, long engaged to Hank, falls for Queenie, whom he hasn't seen since she was a little girl. But Eddie and Queenie are both devoted to Hank, so Queenie gives in to the wooing of one of the show's rich backers, so as not to come between Hank and Eddie. This only causes more trouble, because both Hank and Eddie know exactly what kind of danger Queenie is courting by putting herself in a playboy's hands.
"Broadway Melody" (I)
Queenie and Hank
Uncle Jed's offer
"Broadway Melody" (II)
"Broadway Melody" (III)
Raves for Queenie
It's not a date
Giving girls a ring
"You Were Meant for Me"
No mood to party
"Truthful Parson Brown"
What Queenie wants
"Wedding of the Painted Doll"
Fighting for Queenie
"Harmony Babies" hits the road
Cream in the can.
- Charles King, Anita Page, Bessie Love.
- Photography, John Arnold; art director, Cedric Gibbons; editor, Sam S. Zimbalist ; wardrobe, David Cox.
- Originally produced as an American motion picture in 1929.
- Local notes:
- Presented to the Penn Libraries by Harvey Sheldon.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sheldon, Harvey (donor)
- Beaumont, Harry, 1888-1966 , Director
Goulding, Edmund, 1891-1959 , Screenwriter
Gleason, James, 1886-1959. , Screenwriter
Houston, Norman. , Screenwriter
King, Charles, 1899-1957. , Actor
Page, Anita, 1910-2008 , Actor
Love, Bessie. , Actor
Freed, Arthur, 1894-1973 , Lyricist
Brown, Nacio Herb, 1896-1964. , Composer
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. , Producer
Loew's Incorporated. , Producer
Harvey Sheldon Jewish American Music Video Research Library (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|