Damn Yankees [videorecording] / Warner Bros. Pictures presents ; a George Abbott/Stanley Donen production ; screenplay by George Abbott ; music and lyrics by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross ; produced and directed by George Abbott and Stanley Donen.
- [S.I. : s.n., 20--].
1 videodisc (111 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Wallop, Douglass, 1920-1985 -- Film adaptations.
Washington Senators (Baseball team : 1901-1960) -- Drama.
Baseball fans -- Drama.
Baseball players -- Drama.
Devil -- Drama.
Temptation -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
- In English with optional subtitles in English, French, or Spanish subtitles.
- System Details:
- What if you could help your favorite team win the pennant? And what if you got to be the star of that team? For lifelong Washington Senators fan Joe Boyd that dream comes true when after seeing his team lose yet again, he rashly declares that he would sell his soul to the devil to see his team beat the Yankees. The Devil goes by Mr. Applegate now, and he agrees that Joe--a one-time baseball standout--will play for the Senators and help them reach the promised land. But Joe persuades Applegate to give him an escape clause, should he dislike his new identity. Applegate declares that he can back out at any time before the last game of the season--if he plays in the final game, he'll belong to the Devil. Featuring members of the original Broadway cast (Tab Hunter was not in the original cast).
- Tab Hunter, Gwen Verdon, Ray Walston, Russ Brown, Shannon Bolin, Nathaniel Frey, Jimmie Komack, Rae Allen, Robert Shafer, Jean Stapleton, Albert Linville.
- Director of photography, Harold Lipstein ; production and costumes designed by William and Jean Eckart ; art director, Stanley Fleischer ; editor, Frank Bracht ; choreographer, Bob Fosse ;
- Based upon the play "Damn Yankees", book by George Abbott and Douglass Wallop; from Douglas Wallop's novel "The year the Yankees lost the pennant," music and lyrics by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross; produced by Brisson, Griffith, and Prince.
Originally produced as an American motion picture in 1958.
- Local notes:
- Presented to the Penn Libraries by Harvey Sheldon.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sheldon, Harvey (donor)
- Abbott, George, 1887-1995. , Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Donen, Stanley. , Director, Producer
Adler, Richard, 1921- , Author, Composer
Ross, Jerry, 1926-1955 , Author, Composer
Hunter, Tab, 1931-2018 , Performer
Verdon, Gwen. , Performer
Walston, Ray, 1917-2001. , Performer
Brown, Russ, 1892-1964. , Performer
Bolin, Shannon. , Performer
Frey, Nathaniel. , Performer
Komack, Jimmie. , Performer
Allen, Rae. , Performer
Shafer, Robert K., 1901-1981. , Performer
Stapleton, Jean, 1923- , Performer
Linville, Albert. , Performer
Brisson, Frederick, 1912- , Producer
Griffith, Robert E. , Producer
Prince, Harold, 1928- , Producer
Wallop, Douglass, 1920-1985. , Author
Warner Bros. Pictures (1923-1967). , Producer
Harvey Sheldon Jewish American Music Video Research Library (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|