Analyzing social media networks with NodeXL [electronic resource] : insights from a connected world / Derek L. Hansen, Ben Schneiderman, Marc A. Smith.
- Amsterdam ; Boston : M. Kaufmann, c2010.
Data mining -- Computer programs.
Information visualization -- Computer programs.
Online social networks.
Webometrics -- Computer programs.
- Electronic books.
- Businesses, entrepreneurs, individuals, and government agencies alike are looking to social network analysis (SNA) tools for insight into trends, connections, and fluctuations in social media. Microsoft's NodeXL is a free, open-source SNA plug-in for use with Excel. It provides instant graphical representation of relationships of complex networked data. But it goes further than other SNA tools -- NodeXL was developed by a multidisciplinary team of experts that bring together information studies, computer science, sociology, human-computer interaction, and over 20 years of visual analytic theory and information visualization into a simple tool anyone can use. This makes NodeXL of interest not only to end-users but also to researchers and students studying visual and network analytics and their application in the real world. In Analyzing Social Media Networks with NodeXL, members of the NodeXL development team up provide readers with a thorough and practical guide for using the tool while also explaining the development behind each feature. Blending the theoretical with the practical, this book applies specific SNA instructions directly to NodeXL, but the theory behind the implementation can be applied to any SNA. *Walks readers through using NodeXL while explaining the theory and development behind each step, providing takeaways that can apply any SNA *Demonstrates how visual analytics research can be applied to SNA tools for the mass market *Presents readers with case studies using NodeXL on popular networks like email, Facebook, Twitter, and wikis.
- I. Getting Started with Analyzing Social Media Networks
Introduction to Social Media and Social Networks
Social media: New Technologies of Collaboration
Social Network Analysis: Measuring, Mapping, and Modeling Collections of Connections
II. NodeXL Tutorial: Learning by Doing
4. Getting Started with NodeXL, Layout, Visual Design, and Labeling
5. Calculating and Visualizing Network Metrics
6. Preparing Data and Filtering
7. Clustering and Grouping
III Social Media Network Analysis Case Studies
8. Email: The Lifeblood of Modern Communication
9. Thread Networks: Mapping Message Boards and Email Lists
10. Twitter: Conversation, Entertainment, And Information, All in One Network! - Scott Golder, Cornell University,Vladimir Barash, Cornell University
11. Visualizing and Interpreting Facebook Networks - Bernie Hogan, Oxford Internet Institute
12. WWW Hyperlink Networks - Robert Ackland, ANU
13. Flickr: Linking People, Photos, and Tags - Eduarda Mendes Rodrigues, Microsoft Research, Natasa Milic-Frayling, Microsoft Research
14. YouTube: Contrasting Patterns of Interaction and Prominence - Dana Rotman and Jennifer Golbeck
15. Wiki Networks: Connections of Creativity and Collaboration - Ted Welser, University of Maryland, Derek Hansen, University of Maryland
Appendix- NodeXL for Programmers- Tony Capone.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Amsterdam : Elsevier Science & Technology, 2010. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Title from title screen (viewed on Aug. 4, 2010). Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Saul & Frances Gorn Fund.
- Schneiderman, Ben.
Smith, Marc A., 1965-
ScienceDirect (Online service)
Saul & Frances Gorn Fund.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|