After the event : the transmission of grievous loss in Germany, China and Taiwan / Stephan Feuchtwang.
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2011.
240 p. ; 24 cm.
- Loss (Psychology) -- Case studies.
- Two of the most destructive moments of state violence in the twentieth century occurred in Europe between 1933 and 1945 and in China between 1959 and 1961 (the Great Leap famine). This is the first book to bring the two histories together in order to examine their differences and to understand if there are any similar processes of transmission at work. The author expertly ties in the Taiwanese civil war between Nationalists and Communists, which included the White Terror from 1947 to 1987, a less well-known but equally revealing part of twentieth-century history. Personal and family stories are told, often in the individual's own words, and then compared with the public accounts of the same events as found in official histories, commemorations, school textbooks and other forms of public memory. The author presents innovative and constructive criticisms of social memory theories in order to make sense both of what happened and how what happened is transmitted.--From publisher description.
1. Transmitting loss
2. Comparing the incomparable: the Third Reich and a phase of Maoism
3. 'Communism' in Mainland China and Taiwan: official transmission of the Great Leap Famine and of the White Terror
pt. 1. The Great Leap Famine
4. Moral and political dilemmas from the Great Leap Famine
5. Implicit transmission: the generation gap after the Great Leap famine
pt. 2. The Luku Incident of the White Terror
6. Disruption, commemoration and family repair in Taiwan
7. Gesture and monument in a tourist landscape: the generation gap in Taiwan
pt. 3. The Third Reich
8. Acknowledgement of the Third Reich in post-war Germany
9. Disruption, commemoration and family repair: some Jewish German families
10. Recalling the Third Reich and the Holocaust after two generations: some German German families
11. Beyond bad death.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 9780857450869 (alk. paper)
0857450867 (alk. paper)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|